Clutch master cylinder removal SII

I’m trying to remove the clutch master cylinder from my SII. The problem is I can’t get the body of the master cylinder off without removing the reaction valve, complete. In looking at parts diagrams and the replacement clutch master cylinder I got from Barrett my old one isn’t the same. On the old one the reservoir feeds into the end and the outlet to the clutch slave cylinder isn’t angled like the new one. Thus I have no idea what this was actually meant to be on. The end result is I have take the reaction plate base off to get the old master cylinder off. By removing the reaction valve base am I about to be in a world of hurt with brake fluid all over the place?

Ken
Eastrn Ontario

There is a small piston in the end of the master cylinder that pushes on the reaction valve. As long as you do not touch the brake pedal the piston should stay in place and contain brake fluid. One bump of the pedal and you’ll have fluid all over the place. You might want to put a small arm under one of the screws and have it hold in the reaction valve piston.

It sounds like the MC you got from SNG is correct. Both of mine match that description:

It is close - but are you sure it won’t wiggle clear?

Although it may sound counterintuitive it is often easier to disconnect both the brake and clutch masters from their lines and remove the pedal box as one unit.

Worst case, can’t you just double nut the 2 studs out to give you more wiggle room?

Thanks for the suggestions. A double nut top and bottom was a bit of a challenge but a double nut yielding a top mounting stud removal and some wiggling got the clutch master cylinder out. The picture of the one submitted is the same as my replacement from Barrett but not the same as the one on the car. The one I took off had a casting diameter slightly wider than the new replacement. That’s what caused the problem.

Glad to hear you managed to extract it.