Complete new AC system possible?

I bought a XJ40 and the previous owner for SOME reason deleted the entire AC system under the bonnet. I can not see any AC lines nor a compressor. My car is a 1990 Daimler Spec 4.0 inline 6.

Just today i manually opened the center vents for more airflow. They were stuck closed for some reason (maybe cause i got no AC system in the car…)

Now after sucessfully opening the center flaps, i wonder if it is possible to buy all the necessary parts to pretty much ‘retrofit’ the car with a AC system.

What parts would I need?
Is it financially feasable? If its doable with 1k (without labor cost) I’d give it a try.

Cheers for your inputs in advance

1 Like

More cost effective to sell the car north of the 45th parallel and purchase a similar car with a working AC.

You may want to contact a Jaguar recycling yard for the underhood parts you would need. The 1990 cars used R12 so it is likely you would need an R134 (or later compressor) a dryer, condensor, hoses, expansion valve etc, etc. Are the controls and two blowers all in place under the dash? Places to check would be Welsh Jaguar or Jaguar Heaven. Your profile does not indicate where on the globe you are, might want to update that.

Marmo …

Unless you’re REALLY-Y-Y in love with your car forget it (actually even if you ARE in love … still forget it).
The XJ40 climate control system is expensive enough to repair even with all the parts there. Seriously don’t give this a second thought !

1 Like

yea you’re all right. 99% of my brain cells already knew such a job would be insanely expensive and not worth it. Your posts convinced my last 1%.

I’ll just enjoy the car as it is and roll the windows down in summer.

I just wonder why the heck somene woud delete all AC parts from such a car… well it is how it is now :slight_smile:

Cheers all

Whoa whoa whoa…all the votes are not in…I am one of those crazy people that makes financially irrational decisions. Four years ago I spent $7,000 to have my then-25 year old, 185,000 mile car stripped to bare metal and repainted. This after spending several thousands of dollars several years prior to have the complete interior redone. Why? Because I know the history of my car since January 2000 and upon analyzing the incremental cost and what I could get in exchange for that cost the investment in my car seemed rational and reasonable. Don’t be too quick to dismiss making an investment in your current car!

1 Like

I tend to agree.

If you’re in the UK or EU, your car may not have been optioned with AC, Many cars were not in the 80’s and 90’s even if they were luxury cars and if they were, they would not have a sunroof (you either got one or the other). If your car had an a/c delete, meaning only the stuff under the hood was removed, you might be able to find the appropriate brackets and parts to reinstall. If it never had a/c, you’ll have to pull the dash and that’s major surgery. Unless it’s the nicest car in the world, it’s not worth the effort.

1 Like

My car is a swiss model. So its possible it never had ac? I thought the daimler spec ones always had ac.

I also do have a sun roof

It depends on the region. I lived in the UK where A/C was an option and you either opted for one or the other. During the same time, you could be a Mercedes Benz S Class and a radio was an option so Jaguar was still ahead of the game in terms of features.

It gets hot up here too, like 110 last year :smile: Nobody wants cars without AC.

1 Like

Yours has been removed. No top model came without AC. Do you still have a condenser in front of the radiator?

1 Like

Forgot about those high pressure zones setting up there. Sister in Tacoma had a bad heat wave too. Come to think of it I rode a motorcycle thru Northern Minnesota in 107° heat.

okay cool. I dont know. Tomorrow i will try to check if i have one. is it a long tube or something?

Marmo …

Sigh … forget the A/C and just move on to something else :sunglasses:

No - it’s a radiator, about the same size as your radiator and sitting in front of it.

Summer is summer no matter where you are!

I just found this little radiator in front of my big radiator. When standing in front of the car its behind the right side of the chrome grill. And its definitely smaller than the big radiator. I’m still new to many parts and I’m not sure for that that radiator is. Maybe you can help me by checking the pics i uploaded.

thats mental. I only ride my bike during the late evenings. And out summers in Switzerland are usually 30-35C not your 40+ :'D

Yeah, don’t know what that is, 94’s don’t have that - so maybe the oil cooler? The condenser is as large and roughly same shape and size as the rad.