Compression Test 88 XJS

It’s very good stuff. I had a can of it decades ago, no idea what became of it. Here on J-L I’ve learned it has a lot more uses than I was ever aware of!

Similar to Seafoam? Which I used to be able to bring back from the ‘YouEssay’ in my hold luggage - last time I tried some airport authority removed it & left me a little card to say so…

Not like seafoam, probably closer to ATF.

I have an old Volvo, owned it from 75,000 miles to current 206,000 miles. I’ve seen warm compression slowly go down from 200 to 180. I change oil twice a year.

Last year i decided to try 20% MMO for one oil change cycle, as instructed. Did a compression test afterwards, and I’m now back up to 190!

Its supposed to be very good for piston rings. When i first got my V12 that sat for 7 years, and i didn’t know what engine condition or compression was, i poured a tablespoon or two of MMO down each spark plug hole and let it sit overnight. Can’t hurt, probably helped, and only issue is a smoky startup!

Will have to try it. Thanks all.
Monday I will get to speak with the mechanic about the results, but I value your opinions much more.
Everyone agree those numbers are an example of a good engine?

Only thing that I would use it for is to lube air tools.

You don’t use the lube that is designed for air tools?

Joking, never bought the stuff. But have lubed air tools with it…guess what I am saying is that I think it is snake oil, along with Seafoam.
If you take a compression test on a fully warmed engine you will get a more accurate result. But nearly impossible on the Jaguar. Those compression readings are good without variance that would indicate a problem.

Casite, and kill all the bugs in the neighborhood.

As a kid we pulled a prank in downtown El Paso.
Three kids aboard my T Ford. One to squirt oil in hole drilled in the exhaust pipe. One to drive. And one to drop old busted conrods and junk pistons Through a space between the floor boards. This around Aligator Plaza. The town square. Ugh no one seemed to pay any attention??? Oh well back to draging a text book behind the T or flying a Bra from a windshield post…

Got her back this morning, with compression test done, new correctly gaped NGK plugs and OEM wires.
Runs PURRFECTLY
Now to flush everything, replace ALL hoses, water and fuel. Fuel rail the works. Fans, water pump, leaking cam covers, and yes MORE.
Thanks for all your advice and support. I’ll need it this summer as I start projects to make her even better.

3 Likes