Convertible Header & A Post Covering

Has anyone in the UK re-glued the fabric lining to the A posts and convertible top header? I am trying to find out what adhesive to use and whether there should be a thin layer of foam under the fabric. Mine just has a brown crumbled mess under the fabric which once might have been foam.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Eric,

Had to replace my whole fabric post as there is nothing to glue to. On the headliner, had mine done by a PRO. There are 3 layers, if the insulator layer in the middle is bad, again, nothing to glue to. Know this from replacing all three as the plan was to just replace the outside layer. Discovered the inside layer was looking very shabby. Cost me about $5,000 U.S.D. But we’ve won top honors in class in U.S. and CA.

Bob Allen
kabob@wavecable.com

Hi Bob,

Are you describing the entire headlining of the convertible top? I am only dealing with the windscreen header part and the A post covers. I can’t tell if these originally had a thin foam lining which has disintegrated or if the fabric coving was just glued onto the moulding. The rest of my top is OK.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I did refer to the whole headliner, for our car. The liner your referring to is also like the A post, when the foam goes so does the ability for gluing.

Sorry, I had that part also replaced. If your showing the car, it is not all that expensive. If not, it just makes it look better depending on cost. Check

with XK’s Unlimited.com, they might have a good used one in your color.

Bob

Robert Allen

kabob@wavecable.com