Converting to triple SU carbs

Hi , I am new to owning an e-type and want to convert from Strombergs to triple SUs.
Is there a definite list of what I need to convert - including the engine breather arrangement- I have a carbon canister fitted.
Thanks
Phil

There are kits available, and lots of information on J-L.
You say you are new to new to E Types. I would wait awhile and do some research as to why you wish to spend the money to make such an expensive swap. The ZS seem to have a poor reputation, but they are a very good setup. Many people wish to swap for emotional reasons more so than technical. Just so you know the difference.
Tom

Agree with Tom: for the money, what you mainly get is eye candy.

Unless you are willing to spend some serious cash, the rpm range where the SUs make the most difference is up at 5000+, not an area one wants to bisit often with unknown internals.

Your better bet is to upgrade ^back* to an earlier distributor, ir get yours recurved.

@David_Ahlers can talk to ya on this!

1 Like

These are very expensive here in Oz $8000 plus for full conversion set.

Paul on the secondary butterfly removal on the z s is this a relatively easy conversion?

I have a set on a 2+2 here and am thinking about what I have read and getting Joe’s adjustable jet and needles combo ….your thoughts?

Danny, you don’t even really need to remove the butterflies: if you just disconnect them from the carburetor linkage then jam them open – there is a ton of threads in the archives about how to do this – I think one of them is called the “5 minute Strangleberg fix” – that’s all you really need to do.

You can also either blank off the crossover, or use the nifty little cap Jaguar themselves used.

That, with the earlier dizzy, the performance, up to -4500 rpm, is virtually the same as the SUs.

Adjustable needles are a good mod, too.

1 Like

I went from the dual Strombergs to the triple SU’s back when it was a reasonable cost alternative. In today’s market I WOULD NOT spend the money and time for such a small improvement. Remove the butterflies, have a good distributer, and clean plugs and you will enjoy the performance of your E Type!!

2 Likes

Phil, go with triple Weber’s. You will save some coin and also they are prettier. It don’t care what wiggles says :cat2::smiley_cat:

Whatever coin that MIGHT be saved, it will be spent getting the Webers dialed in.

For street, Webers are also eye candy.

2 Likes

I was considering triples, on the hot rod, but I think you can see why I chose the Stranglebergs!

Never mind the cost!

3 Likes

I converted my S1.5 to SUs about 3 years ago in the UK, i will confess it was for the eye candy more than anything else. I bought all the bits individually, it is a lot of bits, especially linkage, as the kit was n/a. Worked out what i needed using the SNG diagrams. Hardest bit to get was the inlet manifold. Dont forget u need a new choke cable too, and to change the dizzy. I spent at least ÂŁ5k, c$8k and that was DIY, probably more as i stopped counting.

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the advice.
I will take note and do my research.
Yes, I agree that there are some emotional reasons for changing - particularly when one lifts the bonnet!
Cheers
Phil

1 Like

I also made the change from dual strombergs to triple SU’s and spent about $2500. I am very pleased with the change. Besides the “eye- candy” as previously mentioned, my technical comfort level with SU’s is much higher. For me, they are simpler to work on and set up. I also feel that as long as you shop carefully, you should be able to do it for around the same $$ as I did. Get a decent set, rebuild them yourself which is very straight forward, and you will certainly get your money back when and if you go to sell.
In the mean time, you get the joy of opening the bonnet and ogling :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

My Series 2 came with Triple webers that sounded great sucked gas and despite my efforts I could not tune. Weber fans know the expense of all those jets and emulsion tubes just to try a better setting.

And they sounded fantastic!

So I sold them and put on Triple SUs - which gave better performance and especially at part throttle where responsiveness was better

Dennis
60 OTS

1 Like

1 Like

I don’t understand all the nonsense of dialing in the Weber’s that everyone including yourself contribute to spreading. Perhaps I’m an exceptional case? I have no prior experience and have self taught myself to tune them, not too difficult, have driven it hundreds of miles now and running excellent. :cat2:

1 Like

Ok I’ll bite what’s under the big box mod?

Just stuff you don’t wish to see whenever you open bonnet

So how is the air filtered on those carbs with gauze over the intakes? With the dust in the atmosphere where I live the engine would not last long.

1 Like

Having set up a few hundred of them, I’d say you got lucky.

1 Like

If you live in dusty environment you can choose to add more filtrated air cleaners