Correct complete procedure for setting distributor orientation?

I am wondering if my spark jump problem might be due to not having the distributor in the exact correct alignment.
Is there some fairly complete documented procedure for setting the distributor orientation?
I figure the engine has to be set to TDC but I don’t actually know if there are any external pointers or marks to tell when the motor is at TDC.
Then once I have it set to TDC, is there a specific mark inside the distributor that number one plug wire should be pointing to?

Any info would be appreciated.

The AJ6 engine has a mark on the crank damper to indicate TDC.
I would mark the dist body with the cap in situ, remove the cap and set rotor to point at that mark?

What does this mark on the crank look like and what/where is it supposed to align with?

Before you do anything scribe a mark on the dizzy base and corresponding mark on the engine block. (base reference)

Then a mark on dizzy base to vertically line up with the center of the number one cap nipple.

Timing mark I think is similar to old school marks on crank damper/timing cover.

The rotor should now be pointing to the last mark you scribed on dizzy after you remove cap.

Or you could just move dizzy body about a sixteenth inch in direction of rotor rotation.(I forget)

Bet your problem vanishes.

This based on your reported observations, not a guess. Good luck

Thanks for the picture! That helps a lot.