Correct floorboard to carpet materials

When i pulled back the carpet to access the tunnel covers for the starter and shifter linkage, i noticed odd foam combo and what looks like glued linoleum material on the floorboard. Also, what are the raised standoffs for? Thx

![20240719_125331|375x500](upload://nBGMPxYvL7kN8705VBOovGAy4jR.jpeg)

Trying to get 2nd pic uploaded:

Question is about the covering materials and the circular standoffs.
Thx

Careful what you look for those types of repairs or alterations often cover rust issues
Originally there was a 3/4 inch padding layed underneath the carpet sorry I can’t think of it’s name then the carpet went over top and those stand offs ( I believe)received a plug to hold the carpet in place . The padding would get wet and stinky so it may have been removed and replaced with what someone thought appropriate

The glued linoleum like material is likely some sort of sound-deadener/anti-drumming material.

I believe Jute was the original under carpet padding. The raised hats with the hole in the center are fixtures that allow the carpet to be held in place. A plastic receiver, called a female carpet stay, goes in the hole. Once the padding is put in place the carpet is laid over it. Then a black plastic peg, a male carpet stay, goes through the carpet and into the receiver, holding the carpet in place.

BD22665 Carpet Stay, Female | Moss Motors

BD40871 Carpet Stay, Male | Moss Motors

1 Like

Floor—jute—carpet. Thanks guys, i knew i would get answer here. Was the jute doubled up in the floor ribs/recesses to flatten out the carpet? I may put some dynamat type material down first just to help out heat…in florida with no a/c. Groan.
Thx again!

The series 1 cars had a tar based material, commonly called Flint-Kote, applied directly to the floor metal as an “anti-drumming” material. I am not sure if that product was used in the S2 cars. Maybe someone can chime in ( @davidxk )

If you are worried about heat, Koolmat is a somewhat better material than Dynamat. Dynamat is designed to deaden transmission of sound whereas Koolmat is designed to disrupt heat transfer.
Whatever you use, anything you can do to totally seal off any air leaks from the engine compartment and tunnel where the exhaust goes will help a lot. Pay special attention to the area around the shift lever.

1 Like

No it was cut into sections so it would lay down
I bought a roll of it years ago but its only 1/2 inch thick and not exactly the same

Remember, the purpose of the footwells is to give your feet more room. So you are not trying to fill them in. Here are 2 pics of my S1 carpet. It is cut to drop down into the footwells. The jute/felt can be applied in sections to maintain the shape of the footwell.

1 Like

Yes there’s one strip cut to go down the foot well and one cut for each side ledge then a square under the seat and one behind the seat . As for the transmission tunnel there was a large piece of dense foam on top of the transmission, they get soaked in oil most have been binned I’m sure. I’ve managed to wash mine out and use it (Blocks the hot air flow)
Also two pieces cut for the tunnel sides
Your carpet is dirty Harvey :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::grinning:. Love that colour with BRG IM ENVIOUS

The Series 2 appears to have used the same products as the Series 1s in this area. Flintkote was the “anti-drumming” material which was only applied in 4 places - the door panel, the door bottom rails, and the left and right side of the scuttle. These descriptions come from the parts lists, and leave quite a lot to the imagination! Many more areas used “insulating felts” (which I presume to be for the purpose of heat insulation) - this material was described as “rubberised felt” and used on the toe boards, the underside of the left and right scuttle, the front floors, the gearbox cover, the sides of the gearbox tunnel, the rear bulkhead centre panel, and under the petrol tank. In addition, a PVC coated felt was used in the boot on the rear bulkhead panel.

I believe it was also applied in between the strengthening rails at the bottom of the boot.