Coupes and 2+2's made into OTS's

Back in the early '80’s many coupes and 2+2’s were made into convertibles, mostly by Bob Boston’s company in Roswell, Ga. How many of them are there still around? I have 2 examples. Very nice cars.

I remember when the ‘kit’ was available. I briefly toyed with the idea, but kept my 2+2 stock after reading that the soft top for the car would be difficult to replace, as it was not standard sized. Is that true?

I saw one for sale awhile back. Maybe on BaT. Looked like a nice car…

They were done to use all stock XKE parts. They built copies of the original top frames. They were interchangeable with originals and used stock tops. There were 3 versions: Coupes with 3 windshield wipers (i.e.coupes before 1968), 2+2’s with 3 windscreen wipers (1967), 2+2’s with 2 wipers(all later ones). Stock interiors fit correctly.

They were mostly done by Bob Boston in Roswell, GA. I finished and drove several,. All stock XKE parts and finishers fit correctly. They made copies of the original top frames, and they were interchangeable with original frames. There were 3 versions of the frames, depending on windshield (2 or 3 wipers) and body length (coupe or 2+2). The results were quite nice, the best being non-original one made from the 6 cylinder 2+2’s. That gave a faster, more comfortable OTS car than the V12 or the coupes.

I presently own one of these conversions to an ots. I really love it. 1971 series 3 v12.

Just my 2 cents worth but the Series 3 2+2 shares the same dimensions as the S3 OTS and with OEM body panels is pretty much the same beast except for the VIN and a S3 2+2 conversion might take a small hit financially compared to the OEM OTS but likely not as much as the S2 or S1 2+2 conversions. I supposes a FHC S1 or S2 conversion might fall in the same category but I think that financially it might be more of a hit. As Jerry would have said YMMV.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

True - but a seller’s financial hit may be a buyer’s only opportunity to own an E-Type that he/she won’t be afraid to drive.

I’ve said it before (referring to the 2+2) once you’re driving the view is the same. Add open air to that view and it could be an affordable E-Ticket for someone.

2 Likes

The OP’s two conversions are S2s. If I took a wild stab, I’d guess a converted S3 might take a 15% hit, a S2 about 20-25%, and an S1 at least a 33-40% haircut.

IF POSSible WOULD ANYONE HAVE A PHOTO A OF ONE OF THESE CARS

Pictures of UD1S75140 (a 2+2 car number) as an OTS on xkedata here: http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=UD1S75140