Craig Restores a Series III OTS - Part VI

One of the handiest, dandiest little self-made tools you can have!

Circuit tester - simple design, make the leads as long as you think you need. You can even get creative by adding a resistor and LED for visual confirmation of a complete circuit! Build the whole thing for under $10 I would think…
Some VOM meters have a LOGIC selection, used primarily for testing diodes, but works as a circuit continuity tester too.
Nice little piece of kit to have in the tool box. Remove battery while not in use!! Learned that the hard way!!! Ha Ha

Cheers,

Dick

1 Like

Haven’t done much in my shop lately.

The biggest stumbling block was the ceiling lighting in the main bay quit working – initially intermittently and ultimately permanently. It started acting up last Thursday and got worse on Friday. Just in time for the Memorial Day weekend. I traced it down to the switch.

Worked out great cuz Harvey Ferris stopped in on Monday to visit Colorado Springs on his cross-country drive from North Carolina to Seattle. Had a great time getting to know a fine young man. After his sojourn at my place, he continued westward after a stop atop Pike’s Peak (24° F with wind chill making it feel like 0° F at the summit) on Memorial Day morn.

With the holiday weekend behind me, I replaced the switch this afternoon. A special switch – a dimmer for LED lamps on the ceiling.
I know it was special cuz it cost $62 in 2022

Now I fully understand the actual (and not so actual) impact of COVID on shipping, and fuel costs and manufacturing BUT this switch must be really special. Cuz it cost me $104 to replace it today.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY. But I have lights.

On to tracing more wires tomorrow.

1 Like

You might want to change your source of supply. Leviton LED spec dimmers are available online in the $20-$40 range depending on specification.

Did more wiring stuff. Added another harness – this on the driver’s side of engine bay. It has only 3-4 connections, one of which is the A/C Main Relay.

On the car, there are only 3 wires coming out of the harness to the relay. Ground was provided by black wire to one of the small mounting bolts. A/C worked fine until parked 32 years back.

The new harness has 4 wires coming out of the harness to the relay. The colors match; the 4th wire is a black ground wire the attaches to one of relay spade terminals.

ISSUE - comparing the two, the brown wire and the brown w/ blue tracer are reversed.

This photo provides a picture as opposed to 1,000 (more) words. I know less than nothing about electronics and/or relays.

Question: Does it matter that the two wires ID’ed above are reversed?

I spent the last few days unpacking and cross-checking the inventory of the items I sent out for cad plating compared to what I received back.

Good News: a 100% match. No missing bits.
Bad News: some of the items have less than satisfactory finish. Exchanged several calls with the owner and I am expecting a positive result.

The following photos provide a few BEFORE/AFTER comparisons.
Overall, I am happy with the results. Sparkly stuff – not as sparkly as chrome, but pretty nice, nonetheless

Bonnet stuff

A/C Stuff

Door Stuff (plus)

Fuel Stuff

Misc

The above photo shows 52 Belleview Washers (BW) – I kept finding more and more of them but didn’t retake the photo – just my notes for the plater

I ended up sending 171 x BWs for Yellow Cad – today I found 5 more that missed the boat. There are plenty of places the BWs are used that are out of site. I’ll just clean them and use them.

Tubing

Some of these are going back for a re-do

More Tubing

4 Likes

A relay with 2 C terminals and 2 W terminals is never going to be polarity sensitive for the W connections and the C connections, so polarity won’t matter in this case.
You only need to worry about that when you have a relay with no w2 terminal OR when there are three C terminals on the relay.

kind regards
Marek

1 Like

Marek
Clear and concise – as usual.
Thanx for taking the time to respond.
Craig

1 Like

Never knew you could cad plate that die cast fuel filter housing, looks good.

Didn’t know it was die cast – didn’t know I was on potentially thin ice.
The only caution I got from the plater was that the plating process heated the piece to ~390° . . .

1 Like

Apparently I was “lucky” as well…

1 Like

Doug

Where did you have your items cad plated?
I used Van Nuys Plating in CA – is there some pace in /near Denver?
I just returned 6 -8 pieces of hardware and 10 tubes for a re-do. Postage gets kinda steep.

Craig

Unfortunately they’re gone now but there was a cad plater at the Rocky Mountain Metro Airport (used to be Jeffco airport) just off Interlocken loop/Wadsworth. The FAA still requires some aviation parts to be cad plated so that is likely the only reason you can still find it anywhere.

1 Like

As I suspected (I searched for it months ago when I was first looking for a place) – Thanx

Not lucky: 390-odd degrees Fahrenheit is well within the range of temperature that one can heat aluminum/white metal to, safely.

I think the place out in Yuma still does it, but it has been a long time since I went out there.

Therefore the quotes around lucky in my post.

1 Like

I gotta confess I’ve been unfocused in my efforts lately. Mainly I am still (~trying to~) moving forward trying to attach stuff to the Jag so I can trace various circuits in an effort to keep all the smoke in the wiring harnesses. So the theme is adding small stuff that have wires on it. But I keep getting diverted with cleaning / painting / polishing things.

Getting the fuel tank ready – even for a temporary install

Prepping the wiper. Then discovered I ought to replace the three bushes. Then stymied with the type of lube to repack the gears with – any recommendations?

Then a large box was delivered and I needed to open/unpack it to check for damage. No damage but there is one piece missing

Dug out the lamps for the rear of the car to attach them. Discovered the tail and rear side lights (which were removed by the first body shop in 1991) may be missing some small parts. Tomorrow, a trip to Ace or Home Depot in search of a bulb holder from which I can steal the spring . . . or is there a known holder I can order off of Amazon (or other)??

I’m still staring at the A/C evaporator hoping it will magically all make sense,

and I have another 4-6 half-completed items taking up precious bench space . . .

And all this would go much faster if I weren’t wasting 15-20 minutes a day searching for my glasses, that part I ~just~ had in my hand or that screwdriver . . .

OH – and traveling to Pueblo with @Wiggles for the Rocky Mtn Street Rod Nationals this weekend – me to retrieve the 5 pieces of chrome that were redone (the chromer is attending from LA with my pieces) and Paul is in search of more potential Rat Rod pieces

2 Likes

A light grease, like Lubriplate 105 should work just fine.

I have tons.… Rover lights use the same spring.

NO IDEA wotcher talkin’ 'bout, Willis.

:laughing:

Remind me of the date?

Thanx – just Amazon’ed 2x 10 oz tubes.
They’ll be here in a few days

1 Like