Crankcase ventilation in a 120

Dear list,

My 120 has the usual ventilation to the open air.

I wondered whether it’s possible to re-route the hose to the air intake (at air-filter level, for example) to have the vapours burnt, quite simply to avoid seeing as I do once in a while, some oil vapours when standing in traffic with a warm engine.

My MG was like this, until I changed to a Weber, not really vacuum assisted, but rather just flow assisted.

Any counter-indications?

Thanks,

Ll.

Yes you can…as in E type xj6 etc.you will just have to work out connections and fittings…or run it to an oil catch tank…Steve

Be sure the vapors enter inside the air filter container, i.e. downstream of the filter element, not just blowing on the outside of the filter.

Thanks: would you have second thoughts with the pistons of the carburettors getting dirty with the vapours?

Its common practice on later XK engine cars…but as i mentioned you could just run to an oil catch tank…Steve

1 Like

“vapor” emitted from the breather pipe on an engine during the warm-up phase is normal and due to condensation forming in the crankcase if it persists after the engine is up to normal operating temperature then it is blow-by from less than ideal piston ring condition.

2 Likes

Which Crankcase Breather are you talking about? There’s the Silver foil tube from the Front of the Cylinder Head. Is there any other Breather? I seem to remember one when I first owned the car but it’s been 20 odd years since. Can’t seem to find it now. I had even put in a Catch Tank for it that came with the car.

That’s the only one.
Inside there is a baffle plate with two big holes. The orientation of the holes is top and bottom, not side to side, so the oil thrown up by the chain flows back down inside.
PICT0016

With a catch tank, a PCV valve, and a connection downstream of the throttles, it might even be possible to eliminate or reduce some oil drips?

Done: I installed the breather 180° from its original position and with an invisible plastic elbow connected it about 20 cm after the air filter to the hose going to the carbs. One week now, perfect, less smells and a reduced few drips indeed…

1 Like

No, upstream of the throttles, in the low vacuum slow flow inside the air filter.

Upstream of the throttles without a PCV valve, downstream with. Both seem to work.

If you’re still worried about that, absolutely not a problem. My pistons are clean with only the lightest trace of soot after ten thousand miles. I have a little bit of blowby which I feel is normal.

Not at all, mine working perfectly, and I even read somewhere that lubrication of the upper end improves.

1 Like