Crash roll and door lock rod questions

Two questions. Can anyone tell me how long the connecting rod between the door lock knob and the mechanism should be? I will need to make one.

Also, any pointers on fitting the tack strip above the wheel well?

I tried bending it into position and it broke. I do have the grain the correct way. Thinking about borrowing the iron and trying to use that to steam them into shape…

Throw it in a por* and steam it in there until it really bends easily, then get it in and if required clamp it into shape.

*pot. Sorry.

It is hard to see in the picture but there should be a curved metal backing that the wood is rived to behind it.

It is easily removed (pop riveted to the body) so you can rivet the softened 1/8 ply tack strip to it.

Hopefully this helps…The lock connecting rod pins measure 15.75" center-to-center. This is from an XK 140 OTS. Cheers, Richard

Thank you Richard, that is perfect!

Interesting, I was a surveyor so worked in the metric system, and in the foot system divided into tenths and hundredths of a foot, and of course the fractional system used by builders. I have never seen a system that works in inches divided into decimals.! Saves converting fractions to add or subtract!

One other thought on the wood-leave it natural, or add a sealer? I recall the upholsterer’s concern about compatibility of the glue to the finish……

Don’t tell my wife- 10 minutes, clamp and done! image0.jpeg

2 Likes