Cylinderhead needed

The 2.8 has slightly different piping for the coolant. Last picture is 2.8, rest 4.2 but maybe you can see something you need. Do these help at all? do you have the HD8 with ASC? If you want to know about a certain fitting let us/me know.

1 Like

First of all, happy new year and many hours of pleasure with your Jag.
Thanks for DAVIDSXJ6 for his helpful pictures.
Now I would like where these parts are fited on cylinderhead ?

Then what is the best torque for fiting camshaft ? 12 Nm is OK ?

Thanks.

You‘re welcome.

I only remember such a bracket from my S3 days and it was fastened to the thermostat housing where a clip attached to it holding something in the vicinity.
If you have two and the AED the things hold the clips for the breather pipe. C33201 or 37671.

I do things by feel, sounds okay.
Do not overtighten the acorn nuts or the cover will warp and leak.

I know where this part goes on a '70 E (not used on the waste basket) it attaches to one of the 9 upper studs that hold on the intake manifold …on the 70/71 E 6 cylinder
Mitch

Yup, then it’s those that I meant. They or it hold/s the clip/s that hold/s the breather tube.

For the camshaft bearing caps, Laurens; the manuals says ‘max 12,2Nm’ - so your OK…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hello everybody.
I have founded some differences in workshop manuals and I would like to have your advice.
On Haynes manual they state : Cylinder head tightening torque 73 Nm.
On Jaguar manual : 80 Nm.
On Haynes they specify sparkplugs Champion N7YC (2.8L engine).
On Jaguar manual Champion N9Y

Who is right ?
Thanks.

Laurens,

I’d follow the Jag ROM as a principle … and adjust according to needs:

The SI ROM specifies 54 lb.ft. for the cylinder head nuts on 2.8 litre cars. That’s 73 Nm and corresponds with your Haynes indication. What do you mean by “Jaguar manual”?

The SI ROM also specifies Champion N7Y for 2.8 litre cars.

My ROM is the Service manual from 1972.

As for the adjustments: the 2.8 litre engine is higher-revving than the 4.2 litre engine. Contrary to Jaguar’s test drivers real world buyers of the “slow” Jaguar did not make use of this property of the engine and - at least this is the most popular explanation, it seems - this led to carbon buildup on the pistons and burnt-through pistons.

So, depending on your driving habits I would tend to install “hotter” spark plugs to avoid carbon buildup. The plug runs hotter as the number get higher (note that Jaguar specified Champion N11Y for 4.2 litre engines). So N9Y sounds like a good start - just keep an eye on their face and your engine temperature.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

From the 1972 service manual, N7Y, 54lbft.

The 2.8 also has a geometric problem beyond my paygrade, apparently the piston is around TDC for too long which makes it worse. Just drive it hard and enjoy it, then it will last.

Thank you all.