Dana brake job issues

Hi folks,

This was my first time doing rear brakes on a Dana equipped car.

Also the first time I’ve tried the method of hanging the control arms down, and leave the cage in place.

I liked leaving the cage in place. I know it’s only slightly less work: you can leave the prop shaft and cage in place. But also, it’s good working height for me, and I didn’t spill smelly diff fluid around like I do during a cage-out job.

It was going well until I realized the discs I had,

had the caliper hole in the wrong place. Dana lesson #1.

Once I had the correct discs, I tried refitting the disc, then caliper, then E brake squeezer on top. It was fiddley, but I got it. On the other side, I could not get the E brake engaged as before, and tried assembling the entire caliper and E brake, then held it up as far back as possible, and got the disc in place, and slipped the caliper over. This was better method I thought, I didn’t know it could be done this way.

So, bolt up everything else, and it’s all good until I notice a E brake pad on the floor! Crap, I must have knocked it off squeezing the disc on. Lesson #2.

Beer time. It’s a good thing I’m retired, tomorrow’s another day.

1 Like

Not your fault, the E brake pad had already failed and was hanging from a thread.