Dana Salsbury swap carrier identification

Trying to put an LSD carrier in replacing the salsb. The replacement, Auburn Gear, isn’t fitting(it’s to wide). The jag gears are 3.058 so I got the carrier for 3.73 and down.
Is it possible that the original gear was higher than 3.73 and was swapped to a 3.058 at some point and I therefore have the wrong LSD carrier?
I’m waiting to hear back from Auburn to compare the sizes of the 3.73 down vs up carriers.
The original case is 4HU(1985), the carrier caps, ring gear and pinion have 4HA stamped on them. Does that make any difference?

Are you saying that you can’t get the gears to mesh properly or that it physically won’t fit into the differential housing?

Here’s how to tell which carrier you have. In the photos below, the carrier on the left is from a Dana 44 for gear sets 3.73 and numerically lower. The diff on the right is Salisbury (Thornton Power Lok) 4HA for gear sets 3.92 and higher. When stood on end, the mounting flange on 3.73 and down carriers is a fraction more than 2 inches high. On the 3.92 and up carriers the mounting flange is about 2-3/8" off the deck.

The Auburn carrier with setup bearings and races goes in the case, but there is no play side to side.
The Auburn carrier I got was for less than 3.73. here’s a side by side picture the original on the right.

The difference between A and C is just over 0.2"

The gears won’t mesh using the original ring and pinion.
Any idea if I switch to the Dana ring and pinion if they are a lower profile?

Overall tho, bearing seat to bearing seat the Auburn carrier is 0.14" ish longer/wider

For that original gear set to work with the new limited slip, both carriers would need to have identical mounting heights. Either the new LSD is the wrong part, or it’s not compatible with the OEM Salisbury or Dana gears.