Dash Wood Refinishing is not that hard

I just finished my first refirb. project. Not so hard. Used “Kleen Strip”, a plastic scraper, Spray MinWax spar varnish, 600 block sandpaper between coats, finishing up with 2000 and 3000 3M Wet or Dry paper, and buffing with Turtle Wax buffing compound. It is BEAUTIFUL !
I did a little repair on the walnut with a pc. of veneer, and on the trim below with Plastic Wood.
The wood was good, but it took many coats to fill in the open grain. I left a few dots to show the natural wood. It was the worst pc. on the interior. The checking made it hard to see the beautiful burled walnut.
Not so now.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. So with Your preferred procedure the final coat is a wax, not a clear coat ?

Turtle Wax is a brand, not a wax. I used the buffing compound. To take out the swirls, I used a Swirl Remover that I hd from past painting projects, which is even a finer grit. It is the urethane itself that has a shiny, ultra-smooth finish.

Greetings All,

Biggest issue is not going throug veneer when stripping.

Save yourself some time. You can wetsand after each coat but put a few on before the first time. Sanding through the poly will cause issues.

I doubt it looked this good when it left the factory!