Decent DRY MK2 on ebay in Arizona USA

Came across this interesting example with what looks like minimal rust. The seller is quick to respond to questions and the reserve has already been met.

Have a look; no affiliation, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232646067631?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

Gerard

second picture looks a little bit more interesting

lol yeah second pic is to take your eyes off the rot in the jacking point and sill :grin:

Rust? That looks more like a spot where someone started to use a fork lift to haul the car to the crusher and then thought better of it? Ask for a more specific picture and I bet one of his helpers would gladly show you any defects. I would buy this but funds just got spent on the GTO.

Compared to what our British listers encounter with rust, this must just be a skin blemish like a high school pimple.

Gerard

No fork lift , that’s what happens when you use the Jag Jack that comes with the car , don’t ask how I know lol

That could be a good restoration project. It appears fairly represented, I was surprised that the eye candy went through several outfits. The only thing that stood out to me is that the data plate has been re-riveted, so I hope the body tag is still a match and that there is no data plate engineering going on here.

1 Like

I know the horrors of the factory lift stories, so I carry a 3 ton portable floor jack which I bought for about $25 USD. I believe the kit even came with two floor jacks. We take particular care when using our scissor lift to make sure we are in contact with the perfect sweet spots every time we lift the car. I think on the MK10’s it is possible to actually have the dent fold in and make a large dent in the doors, DOH!

Gerard

I will email and ask him about that extra little tag. Also that is an entirely different model in one of his pictures. He recruits young ladies from a local agency to model all of his cars over the years.

That may not have the chassis you think it has.:thinking:
Phillip

Scroll down and there are a lot more pictures.
The California VIN is J62P216770BW and the data plate shows “chassis” number as P216770BW, and he shows the number 216770 stamped somewhere on the body.
There is another tag (J?)-62 screwed on over the data plate. I don’t know what that means, might be something to do with being sold in Calif. where they had different laws.
Looks pretty rust free underneath, including the jacking socket area.
Hard to guess what caused those dimples in the left hand door sill, perhaps some careless bozo with a 2 post lift.
For some strange reason the driveshaft was disconnected at the rear end a long time ago.
The cylinder head F2469-8S is a standard A-Type from a '54 XK120, (which is inferior to the original head), but the block seems to be the original 3.8 Litre as I see 2745-9 by the oil filter and the data plate says LB2745-9 was the engine number. They used a number 1 to stamp the hyphen on the block. We’ve seen that often enough.
I don’t recognize the fuel pump.
The Calif title has the date first sold as 00/00/62. :laughing:
Is there a split second between Dec 31 and Jan 1 in California?

Someone on the XK forum needs that head!!!

The head colour looks correct for a 3.8, hard to replicate in the “aged”
condition shown, Perhaps the head number photo is another car.
Advisable to disconnect the prop when towing a auto.
Dent in sill is probably collision with a kerb/ bollard etc not rust or jack.
Body looks solid, not quite the work required on this one!
Peter B.IMG_0826

J is on California VIN numbers for older vehicles… Too cold to run out and check my 1967 420, but I know there is a J in the VIN because it was from California. Perhaps to make more digits in the VIN. Standard VIN’s these days are 17 digits and disclose a lot of information. Won my 420 on Eba y for $650 and it cost $800 to get it to Colorado. I had the driver swing by a VIN verification place on the way to my house and paid $15 for the appropriate government documents. I then used the title company noted above and I was able to obtain a Colorado title.

Are the listers here reading the “click here for full description” link. He has a lot more pictures and answered questions. He does note a non matching head and they towed the vehicle so the drive shaft was hung with a clothes hanger to avoid damaging the “precious” BW tranny.

Someone on this list really needs to buy this any bring her back to life and document the restoration on our forum.

Gerard

Gerard

I was wrong , looking at the other pics the damage is before the jacking point ! r15%5B1%5D

XK120 heads are never painted from the factory. Nor are A-Type Mark VII heads for that matter.
That means there are two possibilities on the ID of the head.

1. XK120 head painted blue many many years ago by some unknown head swapper installer.
  2. Wrong photo of the ID number, some other head.

As someone said, that head would be more valuable to some 120 owner looking to turn his car back to original.
Disconnecting the driveshaft of course makes sense if it was towed a long distance since it is an automatic trans. The tail end would of course be slung up with a wire or rope or something. Maybe it was towed from Calif to Ariz. But not recently judging by those tires.

There is, at this moment, someone on the XK list needing it!!

Seller sent me this email:

We have the tank, its been out for yrs. And in good shape. Ill add that pic
tomorrow. BTW we added more pics tonite. It IS a matching numbers block. Head
doesnt seem to match but not sure if they where suppose to back then. But at
least the block does !! thanks !
Driveshaft was disconnected for transport, yes.
I can help find a shipper though if you need one.
We have LOTS of rust free cars if you know where to look :slight_smile: