Delco-Remy Alternator / WOSP Starter Wiring - Series 1

First, +1 on the WOSP starter. Not everyone will agree as it “sounds” different, but it is so much easier to handle.
As to the alternator Angus, for my money’s worth I’d dump the alternator you have and go with an internally regulated alternator. It makes the wiring easier and tidier. You’ll be happier by not using an old school regulator with electro-mechanical components and it appears you need either a new regulator or a different alternator. The alternator for the GTO was, I believe a DE-10DN family and produced something like 42 amps? Take a look at the CS-130 Delco. The CS-130 family from Delco is 2 generations newer than the GTO’s alternator and it is quieter mechanically and electrically and can be found with an output of 60 amps to over 100 amps. So that raises a question. Are you anticipating installing air conditioning now or some time in the future? If so, it may be better to get an alternator that produces 55 amps or better.
I did the alternator on my S1 FHC last summer. Here’s a link: Alternator: best choice for a Series 1 - #84 by ScotThompson
The thread got a little lengthy, but it may be worth your reading it. Also I investigated fan belt choices and found some surprising information.
The 1 gauge wire is, IMO, inappropriate to connect the BAT from the alternator to the Terminal Post. An 8 ga would be a good choice or, most likely a 10 ga would be sufficient. If you decide about the A/C question and come up with a current output for the alternator, I can run the numbers for you.

2 Likes