Dipstick length?

Can anyone identify the dipstick length for this engine and oil pan combination??..

Tadek

Tadek,

Given the (XK 140) engine number G6946-8S , it normally should have dipstick C.8781 with a total length of 51 cm. Unless the car is an FHC, then it has dipstick C.10365 with a length of 34.5 cm).

Bob K.

This is the problem - the car is XK150, so engine is not original.

Is there any way to judge it by the oil pan shown above?

Tadek

Tadek,

Looks very much like an original XK 140 engine with correct sump. See photo of my 1955 XK 140 FHC SE.

Regards, Bob.

the only other engine with metal sump like this is the XK150 but it has pressure relief pipe coming out the side rear of oil filter

I think it looks like sump C.8592 used on XK140 from engine G.1908 onwards, and also late Mark VII, Mark VIII and Mark IX.
C8592%20sump
If so, here are the measurements of the dipstick from engine G4686-8S.
Overall length 13-5/8" or 346mm.
Flange to tip 9-1/2" or 241mm.
Flange to first notch (full) 8-3/8" or 213mm.
Flange to second notch (needs a quart) 9" or 229mm.

1 Like

This shows the various dipsticks

2 Likes

By the way, the photo of the engine, has the fan blade on back to front.
The blades should be curved the other way.

1 Like

Thank you all! for help!

Tadek

JohnBall,

I was wondering: here is the table from?

I was wondering, as the dipstick Rob is indicating is not on there:
Flange to tip 9-1/2" or 241mm.
Flange to first notch (full) 8-3/8" or 213mm.
Flange to second notch (needs a quart) 9" or 229mm.

Tadek

Sorry, I cannot remember where I got the diagramme from. I may have found it some years ago on the internet, or possibly from the book about 120’s and 140’s produced in Holland. The expensive one ! Not very helpful answer but the best way is to drain the oil and put the exact sump capacity and Mark the dip stick yourself ! This is what I did with my 120 that takes 13.5 litres in the cast aluminium sump. Later 140’s and 150’s have pressed steel and take less oil. I believe 12.5 litres.

Mine might be sort of close to the fifth one down, for LHD XK140 FHC only.
Within the tolerance of amateur measurements anyway.
I can take more accurate measurements if there is any question about them.
I know nothing more about the origin of that engine; my brother found it abandoned in a field.

I’m not enough familiar with 140FHC to know why there would be a shorter handle dipstick, just guessing there was interference with the steering column or something.

Daar listers,

You may blame me for any mistakes in the table with all the dipsticks I could find for XK’s. John, you found this survey probably on my website (see link). http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/02-engine/oil-dipstick-for-xk-engines/
Must say that it was rather difficult to get some logic in arranging the various dipsticks and finding all the correct dimensions, but I guess they are >80% correct. The dipstick for the LHD XK 140 FHC has a shorter “handle” as the steering column is otherwise in the way indeed. See also Jaguar XK 140 explored. Don’t ask me why the shorter handle of the early XK 140 dipsticks has different dimensions, but I fully trust Roger Payne for his input.
Like Rob says, his dipstick dimensions most likely refer to this LHD XK 140 FHC as well.
John, I’m curious about “the expensive book about 120’s and 140’s produced in Holland” you refer to or do you mean Urs Schmid’s book The Anatomy of a Cult Object? He is (was) from Switzerland and I guess his work on the XK 120 is top quality and unmatched.
John, I have to admit you have a sharp eye noting the fan on my engine was back to front. which I noted myself (fortunately) before the engine was placed in the car.

Regards, Bob K.

Yes, you have reminded me it was your information for the Dipsticks, not the book I referred to - by Bernard Viart - huge book on each individual XK, but very expensive. My friends who have rebuilt 120’s and 140’s used it as a reference guide.