Distributor Model Number and Pertonix Conversion

Where can I find the model number on the distributer? I think it is a 22D6 but do not know for sure, The only numbers I can find on it are 41060 A and 467.

Has anyone converted the points to electronic?

Herb

The 41060A distributor is of the 22D6 type (Section P of the Workshop Manual). The “467” may be a date code (April 1967). Lots of folks here (but not myself) have converted to the Pertronix module in these distributors.

I found the 22D ID under the plastic cap, behind the vacuum addvance.

If I’m going use the Pertronix flame thrower electronic adaptor does it matter if the distributor is rebuilt?

Herb

Herb, I originally converted to Pertronix but had problems with the car misfiring. Then I found out that the components were offshore. Sent all three Jags to Advanced Distributors. They used correct mechanical springs and installed really better points and rotors. I have never looked back.
Allen

If your distributor needs rebuilding due to worn bushes, sloppy weights, weak springs etc, then fitting a Pertronix module is not going to fix it. The electronic module is not a silver bullet. It just means that you won’t have to regularly adjust the points, or worry about having a dodgy condensor.

1 Like

I went with the Pertronix distributor 11 years ago. Installed it, set the static timing and haven’t touched it since.

3 Likes

Bingo. It has a nice curve right out of the box.

I’m going for originallity to start with and I’ve heard bad things about the Pertronix flame thromer adaptor such as missfiring. So, I’ve decided to have my 22D6 rebuilt by Advanced Distributors first and leave it alone. Maybe I’ll change to a Pertronix distributor later. Thanks for the input.

I have had a Pertonix module in the 41207A on my '68 (does not have vacuum advance) for 20+ years and had zero problems. I have also had them in my '71 and '74 Chevrolet 4 cylinders with vacuum advance for the same amount of time. The high mileage one in my '71 elongated the hole in the pivot plate for the vacuum advance allowing the module to bounce away from the magnet piece sometimes and cause a misfire. I just drilled the hole a little bigger and re-attached it with an appropriate size pop rivet to take up the slop but still pivot properly.

David
68 E-type FHC