Does chain tensioner have a spring?

I have a 1967 series 1E type that is being rebuilt. The mechanic says that the Spring is missing from the tensioner. My question is, in the hydraulic spring tensionor should there be a Spring?. Thanks for any advice

Yes, it should have a spring: if it gets replaced, do not use the Rolon brand, but rather the Renold one.

Thanks for your response, I ordered a new one but I believe it to be a Rolon. Where can I buy the reynolds? Thank you

Look in the archives, for “Renold,” not 'Reynolds."

This was a recent discussion, so should be within a few months.

Thank you: corrected!

If I wanted to reuse my original one could I just take the Spring from the rolon replacement Since that is what is missing? The One that is on the car is a Renold and is not very worn.

You will have to check the fit by assembling then operating the original tensioner with the new spring. Just make sure the spring doesn’t foul the ratcheting sleeve in some way(diameter mismatch or shape of spring ends)…can’t imagine that it would, though.

1 Like

Thanks, hope you are right.

@Charliek: I presume that you are aware that, in addition to a spring, there is supposed to be a ratcheting mechanism there as well…?

1 Like

I assume that that still there on the original 1. But I found 1 made by Renold France on Yesterdays Tractor Company web site. Supposed to be the same. Part # 826113M1. Check it out. I bought it.

It is: its a commonly used part, in many engines.

They’re not cheap, but the cost of its failure would be orders of magnitude higher.

It was$101. Definitely worth it… Especially compared to the cost of the rebuilt engine

2 Likes

Please report back, if possible with pictures, and let us know if your tensioner is exactly the same as original…

Craig
I just checked with the Tractor company web page , and the picture they show for the tensioner is a Renold with molded edges top and bottom and looks identical to the Jaguar tensioner.

Unless there is excessive wear of the tensioner bore or ratchet mechanism, the only thing you really need is the plunger/rubber foot. Does the web site show an exploded view of the thing?

I call the local jaguar dealer and they can get the part but it costs $88 I am wondering what manufacture it is. When I asked them they didn’t know.

Lee

Web site does not show exploded view but does show Renold stamped on side

The company I ordered from is not Renold but isn’t Rolon. It is made is British though. So as usual I am confused. I called up the tractor company And there’s is not stamped as a renald either so I’m beginning to wonder if they are available anymore.

IIRC, others here have been interested in and/or used that Tractor part…the archives should shed some light on that.

Don’t feel bad, it is very confusing. Here is a Renold that I found on eBay some time back:
c215065c9d4d130b6f342e68d96d9203bc3c9deb_2_281x500
stamped “Great Britain”. About $30