Door check straps

Hi Girls and Guys
Below are some photos that I thought you might find interesting.
I needed the door check strap rubbers and could not find them so I decided to MAKE them, this was done with the help of a rubber pipe coupler from Home Depot at the grand cost of $6.44 Part number (1056-33).
The reason I chose this was the thickness of the rubber and it gave me some spare in case I screwed up, in the pictures you will see a piece of aluminium tubing which I used as a punch (sharpened) to cut through the rubber (next time I would use copper as its harder), you will also see my paper template that is a copy of an old but destroyed pad.
Any questions or help needed please let me know.

thanks for sharing

I have a few questions about door straps

On my 420G, the Drivers side door strap makes a loud “clack” sound just before wide open

it doesnt seem to be the case on other doors

I dont understand why, or know how to get the strap out

it may be additional rubber bushing needs to be added, as above

Mine is the same Tony , and also on my Ford Ranger !!

had a look with a torch, the loud cracking noise is the the sound of the pair of steel jaws visible in OP pics snappng their detent over a steel bar whose job it appears to retain the door in the fully open position, as to why one side and not the other, cant only fully open both doors in parking area, further investigation needed

The steel bar is actually a “U” shaped spring on the smaller saloons. It is swaged onto two pins in the door. If someone installs the check strap so that it doesn’t go through the two pins, or with the crank the wrong way around then that will limit travel. Unfortunately it can also snap one side of the “U” off, which is… ungood.

1 Like

Assuming the MKX is the same type of strap once you have removed the pin from the door post you have to pull the strap inside the door.
As for the click it could be that the slider on the door has a burr on it or worse still one of the pins holding it or the slider is broken (this happened on mine and I had to get a replacement from a junker.
If none of this appears I would suggest a light smear of copper grease to ease the strap through the slider.

“Ungood.”

Added to my stolen words lexicon!!!