Door locks and latches

I’ve just replaced my drivers (RHD) front door handle, a common point of failure. In putting in the new handle, I note that the turnbuckle has to be fully at the end of its travel (fully in) for the latch to work. Unless this is common, I suspect the latch assembly itself has worn.

I happen to have a new latch assembly. The Jaguar workshop manual I have is pretty straightforward and I have done a part dummy run. The thing that stopped the dummy run was the link rods behind the window channel. Now the workshop manual (proper Jaguar one) states that I need to undo the screws holding the channel to the door frame on that side only. It says nothing about removing the channel. Why is this?

Has anyone, done this changeover and could advise?.

Alan … ???

What is a “part dummy run”

Dennis,

Let me help to translate from the Oz English:-
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dummy-run

I guess a ‘part dummy run’ is where you do not complete the trial> :slight_smile:

Having been a smart a**, I cannot answer Alan’s question because I never had to do that job on my car.

Absolutely Bryan! Dennis: Like when you get in the aircraft, run it up and complete takeoff checks and then close down and get out again… And a part dummy run is where you don’t complete all of the run-up procedure…

But, having said that, I have now acquired from Emanuals a much fuller manual for the XJ40 which tells me that I do need to remove the window glass and channels before replacing the lock. So, as the new handle works I have decided not to replace the actual latch at this time.

Alan …

" Like when you get in the aircraft, run it up and complete takeoff checks and then close down and get out again"

On an aircraft carrier we call that an “Alert 15”. (You stayed in the jet on the catapult with an “Alert 5”)

In the airlines we called that not getting paid !!