Door trim options 1977 Series 2 V12 Saloon

Does anyone know what options were available in trim for 77 XJ12. My door trims are in a rather hideous grey not unlike the hood lining. Pretty sure a P O has done this but not 100% sure. Thanks.

Indeed, rather hideous Noel, I agree… and definitely not original.
Making new door cards and re-upholstering them would be relatively easy, the head-rests a bit trickier though.
Aristides

Wow. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Door panels are pretty easy
MDF is a good place to start.
If you’ve got an intact or have access to an intact door panel, use that as a template.
Material Sources
John Skinner
World Upholstery
BAS Jaguar Trim- Expensive!!

How cool is that, a Jaguar with wind up windows! I WANT ONE! :smile:

My 16 yr old daughter said, “Dad, what’s that crank thing on the door for?”
I smiled. The Windows; I just got a puzzled look. She moved about a quarter turn each way, and said, It’s broken, I said, move it in a circle. I guess I’ve got a spoiled brat. It never dawned on me that she had no experience with wind up windows; and she doesn’t ride the short bus to school.

Thank you for the links and information Mark. Cheers.

Here are the original panels in my '74 XJ12L.

Noel,

on my 75 car there are the same door cards in vinyl with the embossed pattern on the main vinyl part. I’m fairly sure though that this was abandoned in the course of SII production run (so that panels are even easier to fabricate). The following pics are from 1979 SII cars.

This one looks similarly (no year provided though):

At any rate you seem to be missing the extra parts around the door locks and ashtrays (rear doors). They should be easy to fabricate though. The headrest covers should be available from usual parts suppliers.

As you see on all of the pics, for standard Jags the door cappings were always color coded. Only Daimlers had black door cappings.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

[quote=“Jochen_Glockner, post:6, topic:362684”]
As you see on all of the pics, for standard Jags the door cappings were always color coded. Only Daimlers had black door cappings.
[/quote]That’s interesting as the console between the seats is black as well.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
Noel

Thank you for the pictures.
Cheers

Indeed Noel,

looking at your pics I also realized the door pockets and the rear faces of the front seats are black.

The rear faces of the front seats are usually in the colour of the seat made from fabric (nylon) for narrow-pleated seats and PVC for wide-pleated seats . Likewise the door pockets are colour coded.

Assuming your car came original as Jaguar with Biscuit leather trim (ADE) all trim should be (as per the SII Parts catalogue) in the same colour except:

black (PDA) door trim rolls (only for Daimler models)
fawn (ADH) headlining, cantrails, upper B/C post
black (PDA) underscuttle casings and boot trim
tan (ADC) flange finishers, draught excluders, carpets

As I just pulled out one door card I may be able to provide a pattern for the extra bits around the door lock units and ashtray.

Where are you located? You might be better off getting yourself an entire interior from a rust-bitten hull in Europe and maybe replacing the cardboard part of the door cards instead of having the interior fabricated in bits …

Good luck

Jochen

Thank you Jochen. I live in a fairly isolated part of NSW Australia. My car’s interior appears to have been really messed up so will be an interesting exercise to making it look good again. Cheers

… making it kind of hard to source a non-sunburnt interior from northwestern Europe :frowning:

Noel

if I were in your shoes I’d call it a day for the black door cappings, door pockets and the seat covers. The headrest covers are available, though not cheap, and the door cards can be fabricated. Obviously, your cards fit well. All it takes is to cover them with suitable material. My unusual colour (moss green, HDA) proved to be available through a generic supplier of fabrics as well

As for those “liners” used for the area around the door locks, they are not simply doubled up parts of covered cardboard, but more complex including a “vertical” inlay around the door lock cutout - different from the cost-cutting SIII panels

The parts catalogue indicates though that these parts were - like the embossed vinyl - sacked already in the course of the SII production. The following is clearly a rear SII door as given away by the kink in the upper horizontal line. Unfortunately, while the catalogue depicts both types of “door casings” it is quiet on when the change took place.

grafik

Good luck

Jochen

My console isn’t the same color as the seats? my seats are blue, and the console is black. and my seats have a thinner pleate; that looks very similar to a Series III interior

1 Like

On the subject of door trim, I have noticed some 12’s and Daimler’s have wood trim on the Doors. Can someone give the models and years? Would like to upgrade my 76 XJ6C

My 1986 North American market V12 VDP has wood on the door trim.
All Daimlers Double Six of the same era would have them too.

Aristides

I’ve never seen a coupe with wood door trim. My 76 XJ12C did not have any. Man I miss that car. Anyway, you can always just have it made… talk to British Autowood. The wood will be the easy part, getting the door capping to have a nice recess will be harder but doable.

David,

SI cars had door cappings with wooden tops, SIII from the Egan period onward had wood inlays in the top parts of the door cards.

SII cars, including coupés didn’t have wood except for the dashboard.

It might be possible to retrofit a SII SWB sedan with SI door cappings, but the coupé doors are much longer, so a lot of fabrication would be required.

If you’re interested in more timber it might be easier to get at the center console - I think I saw wood kits for SII cars advertised.

Good luck

Jochen

Liking wood, I combined the S1 wooden door capping with the S3 VDP wood inlay (plus S3 chrome strip and VDP door handle and cubby). The rear door (shown) crowds the handle and cubby together a bit as the S3 door is longer. Front door is fine. Something similar might work on the S2.

The S1 LWB Daimler VDP had very similar door trim as the S3 Jaguar VDP. I think S2 Daimler doors were spiffier too–you might surf for Daimler photos.

This is beautiful work, Robert! Did you do the colour set-off of the main door card and the black door lock surrounding? What did you fix the SI wooden cappings to? - I can see the screws but can’t quite figure out their counterpart.

Best

Jochen

Hi Jochen, The main door card is identical to the S1 original, but I made a new one in order to hide holes from the original handle etc. I covered it with AEE doeskin colored vinyl (a mistake; I would do the interior in ADE biscuit were I starting over). The door lock surround is the original, painted black with vinyl paint. The door cap is also the original. It is a sheet steel piece (S3 is plastic) that is bent outboard at the top to provide a ~1/2 inch horizontal ledge. Some shaped foam is factory-fitted to provide curvature. I carved out some of that foam, then added a surface piece of additional foam, ~1/4 inch thick. I screwed in the S3 VDP trim (with boxwood inlay) from the back, and then wrapped the piece with black vinyl. The black piece screws into the door at the top. The wood trim is attached the same way–with screws that pass through the black trim piece into the door. This attachment of the (now) black door cap and the wooden cap above it is factory.

The handle and cubby were trial fitted to the door itself before I punched holes into the door card to accept them. They came from a S3. Very similar (identical looking but vinyl, not leather) pieces were fitted to the LWB S1 Daimler VDP, but not any SWB cars AFAIK. The Daimler also used a contrasting black door cap.

Great work, Robert!

I forgot (and your armrest and cubby helped me:-) that you had a SI to begin with and so the wood cappings were original anyhow. Last night I found that SII Daimlers already sported wood inlays on the black door cappings just like the later SIII Jaguars. Yet the fabrication of the SII wood inlays has come out just gorgeous and looks just like from some Belgian coach builder. Chapeau!

Jochen