Drivers Door handle Not working

Hi re my 1990 XJ40 Sovereign

Went to open drivers door this morning (it was not locked), as I did I heard a loud click as if some internal mechanism had either snapped or disconnected, anyway needless to say door handle lifted freely without engaging internal mechanism to open the door.

Is this common and if so what should I be looking at?

All the best everyone 2021 hope things get better soon, a door handle issue is really nothing compared to what’s going on in the world.

Dave

Dave common on xj40, Its either your spring in the handle or the catch rod in thedoor.99 PERCENT its your handle.
Welsh Jaguar in Ohio has them new old stock…Not much , better than a used one.
GOOD LUCK, P.S. if you go around the passenger side you can open the drivers from the inside correct.
GTJOEY1314

Thanks Joey

Door opens from the inside, just wont open from outside, will look at handle spring,

David, find my topic about the broken door handles. Go to the XJ40 forum’s front page and scroll down until you see “Broken door handle fix”. My car is a '94 MY and I’m not sure if the door handles are the same but I uploaded a bunch of pictures including a left front handle.

Joe that was a great post👍🏾

1 Like

Thank you again. I still have an extra broken rear handle and the right front handle. I’ll fix them eventually.

Dave your avatar indicates a RHD car, where are you based in the world?

Robin

I am in Liverpool in the UK, not many XJ40 on the road, mine is probably the best surviving one, still looks in mint condition

Dave

Dave if you go to your avatar top right and go to preferences you can attach a flag, I have handles but I am in NZ.

Dave, please let us know about this situation after inspecting the handle. A pic or two would be nice too. When the left front handle broke in my car, I opened the left rear door and reached forward to the inner handle between the drivers seat and the B pillar so I could get inside. Wasn’t fun in a crowded parking lot, ha-ha.

Joe

Will do though likely to leave it for few weeks, car only used infrequently (45k in 30 years), not my main vehicle.

Just gone into another national lockdown… freezing here just now so will wait for things to warm up.

Reading Haynes manual seems to be straightforward to remove inner door trim panel, what is access like to lock mechanism from inside the door, (once trim removed). I guess you don’t have to do anything with window other than keep in closed position.

Dave

Joe

Will do though likely to leave it for few weeks, car only used infrequently (45k in 30 years), not my main vehicle.

Just gone into another national lockdown… freezing here just now so will wait for things to warm up.

Reading Haynes manual seems to be straightforward to remove inner door trim panel, what is access like to lock mechanism from inside the door, (once trim removed). I guess you don’t have to do anything with window other than keep in closed position.

Dave

Dave, that’s a nice low mileage car. I guess still rides like new.
Yes, keep the window up when you remove the handle. Skinny(er) fingers always help. The most difficult part of reinstalling the front handles is popping in the 2nd rod that’s operated by the key. It has a U bend on the bottom and I had to feel it to hook it in. Then it kept falling out before I could pop in the top part. Grrrr!
You can see it in the next picture where it connects.

Stay safe and keep us updated in the future.