Drivers door hard to latch

If I shut the door normally it will bounce and not close tight. If I push the door firmly rather than slam (with just the right force) it will latch pefictly.The door seems to be aligned perfictly. Any suggestioins?

/

Hmmm …

The first thing I’d look at would be the rubber door seal. It sounds like somewhere it’s blocking the free swinging door but is compliant under the extra pressure when you’re firmly pushing the door shut.

Normally a misaligned door will “jump” just a bit when you first start to open it.

I thought of that and removed thr gasket. No change. It does not take much pressure to close the door but the pressure must be constant until the door latches.

I thought of that and removed thr gasket. No change. It does not take much pressure to close the door but the pressure must be constant until the door latches. It does’t matter how hard you slam the door it will not shut correctly.

i

Had a similar problem on my '91. Found it to be caused by slight misalignment of the door latch to the striker plate (well, peg I suppose is a better description) on the door surround. The wear in the door hinges over time had allowed the door to droop slightly although that was not obvious from the shut lines which looked even.

Initially I thought i could adjust the striker plate but IIRC that is not possible so I had to raise the door slightly after loosening the hinge bolts. My memory of the actual procedure is not too clear, but I remember supporting the open door on a jack while loosening the hinge bolts and then raising the jack slightly to lift the rear edge of door a couple of millimeters before re tightening the bolts.

If you look sat the ‘claw’ in the door latch, you can see that it has a sort of ‘over centre’ action when it hits the striker. If that is slightly ‘above centre’ on the claw, the door will bounce back.