Driveshaft flange nuts

Presently rebuilding the driveshaft on my ’53 DHC. The driveshaft has universal joints on each end. Each universal joint has an accompanying flange yoke plate. The flange yoke plate then bolts to a mating plate on either the differential or on the transmission. (See Viart, page 263). The bolts between the plates presently have the original castle nuts. The bolts are drilled for a cotter pin, which keeps the castle nuts from coming off. However, I found that the cotter pins do not keep the castle nuts from loosening, which leaves the flange yoke plate to rattle around on the end of the shaft.

Thinking about replacing the castle nut, cotter pin arrangements with Nylock nuts. I have heard pluses and minuses of the Nylock nuts. Most of the negative experiences have to do with reused Nylock nuts rather than ones that are brand new and used only once. Wondered if anyone has had good or bad experiences with this idea.

Thanks for the help.

Cliff

Clifford,

I’ve taken the liberty of creating a new thread for your question.

They should keep tight

After all the main bearing caps have slotted nuts and don’t seem to come loose
It is important with slotted or castellated nuts not to back them off to get the slots to line up with the holes.
Usually you can try different nuts on different bolts for a better fit but as a last resort you could face a couple of thou off the end of the nut and retighten till the split pin will go in.
If replacing the bolts , they do need to be good quality bolts.
That being said , I’ve used Nyloc without problems.