[E-Type] Early E-Type steering wheel rims

Too late, but thanks anyway, Mark. I expect the link to gallery will be sufficient.

Regards,
Mike Lempert
http://www.lempertwheels.com

I find this type of detail interesting, much like the discussion we had going about the jacks a while back.
to all that contribute, I simply say thanks.

Bob F

is the varnish satin, semi gloss or gloss?
brush on or spray on varnish?
is it diy friendly?

Thanks for the heads up on adding images Mark. Now how do I find the Gallery photos?
I know if every thing else fails, " read the instructions", but where do I find the "Instructions?

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/c/user-guides-and-how-tos

Thanks Andrew, thanks Andrew

[quote=“PeterCrespin, post:20, topic:101658”]na.com
[/quote]

The original varnish appears to have been a common gloss.

Norman: You should see the links in my message.

Thank you, Pete (and George Camp). I have sent email to Mr. Stevenson, pointing him to my recent post. His response: “Thanks Mike,
I appreciate your information!
Bob”

I don’t know what will result. Good luck.

Mike Lempert
http://www.lempertwheels.com

if all the wood is missing how can one determine if it was an early or late wheel?

The metal rim will be thinner and flimsy on a later wheel. Also, you will see where the wood was at the spokes where they enter the rim. If the line aligns with the inner rim edge, it’s early. Easier yet to provide me with a picture.

I have an early wheel with an all mahogany rim. Unfortunately, I cannot state for a fact that it is original, but believe it is. It matches up with the early wheels as far as wood band thickness, finger indents and aluminum rim. The finish is not original. Pics:

Drew: That looks as real and authentic as they come. While it is difficult at times to precisely identify the variety of mahogany, it may be Khaya, an African mahogany. Sapele was also used extensively by others. CTB was pretty good at cutting their veneers perfectly to the quartersawn angle which can be seen on your rim as well as the one I provided pictures to -

Thanks Mike. Good to hear. I was a little concerned when I bought it because it was not beech and I thought it might not be original. It matched in all the other ways though.

–Drew

Yours is more common than the beech. Odd contradiction, isn’t it?

Hello all. Back in the 1970s my step-father gave me two of these e-type wooden steering wheels–one of which includes a mounting hub. They are both somewhat used, but still in very good condition. They look similar to the above photos, except that there is no metal visible in the inner circumference. I don’t know what vehicle they came from.

Can anyone tell me if they are worth anything?

I can post photographs, if that would be of any value.

Thanks.

Yes, photographs help. With no inner metal rim visible they are likely later Series 1 or Series 2 wheels. If the aluminum is polished then Series 1. If not, then probably Series 2.

–Drew

1 Like

“Sliderule” (Real Name?)

I note that you joined the forum one hour ago, so welcome! If you have items for sale, it is not permitted to advertise them on the forums. You can post an Ad in the Classified Ad section - see the link at the top of the page. If you want to be sure what they are before posting an Ad, you can post a photo here (you may be limited to one photo for a while, as a new member) and we should be able to let you know what you have. Then you can post an Ad in the Classifieds and let us know it’s there.

1 Like

They are, of course, worth something. A look at eBay may give you some idea but please ignore the one perennially listed for $4,500. That one has been on eBay for most of the past year and the seller seems to have (my opinion) a vastly inflated notion of its value.