E type for sale in CT

1 Like

Wow. If I had the $$ I’d own it already.

I would need a whoooole lot more photos (assuming this isn’t a scam) showing evidence of this recent “restoration.”

$40k?

If it sounds too good to be true…

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I saw the pic and the price and looked no further.

1 Like

I looked no further than the overspray on the foot wells…:face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Wow. Ugly thing to do to a beautiful car. If you refer to a car as a she this is an abusive relationship.

1 Like

Be careful, this looks like a scam. The car sold last August at auction for $84k. The photos listed are from that auction:

pauls

3 Likes

It is on Craigslist and in Connecticut.
A lot of folks will be able to ck it out in person.
It will be interesting to see, and unlike BAT, no commentary. We will not know

We will not know the outcome either.

It was on BAT last May and sold for $71,500, again same photos.

pauls

1 Like

SCAM. my BS antennae were a-tinglin.’

I flagged it: I suggest everyone here do the same.

1 Like

I wonder what their up to? Being on Craigslist people are going to go look.
Maybe it’s just a similar blue car and they stole those pics from BAT? And it is in awful condition?…
Be fun to try to guess what they are up to.

Scammers will do anything: they also happen to know that people who like these cars are fools for the good deal.

1 Like

It appears to be a different car, the newly advertised one is not in such nice condition.

I can’t see scammers fitting new tyres to replace the already new tyres, not fitting a reasonably worn black interior to replace the immaculate blue one.

@Dieselman It’s the same car. Here’s the history XKE Data - 1E18356 - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register. Sold on BaT in May last year. Flipped at Broad Arrow Auctions in August after renewing the tires and interior. The Craigslist scammer took the earlier BaT photos and is trying to extract cash from unwitting buyers.

2 Likes

Thanks.
So, new tyres and leather seat coverings added $12,000 to the price.

Who was the scammer?

Good eye, guys.

The good thing about getting older is that time goes by faster, and under current circumstances, that is good.
LLoyd Nolan, June, or maybe July 2020

The Craigslist scammer is anonymous other than the phone number on the post - 470.236.1299 - That’s an Atlanta area number for a car “said” to be in CT…

One of us should call him

A desirable car at a surprisingly below market price is likely to be what Business Insider calls

The Little by Little Scam

"On fake listings, scammers know buyers’ alarm bells will go off if they ask for $20,000 up front, which is why they’ll get it to trickle in little by little. Often, they’ll claim the car is in high demand, so they won’t be able to guarantee the way-below-average price unless you put down a payment.

The scammer will ask for money in smaller amounts rather than all at once. First it’s a deposit, then a payment, then shipping.

Next thing you know, you’ve put down a big chunk of change for a car that you’ll never see."

IMO, It’s possible that calling the seller might make the scam apparent, but it’s probably not going to get the seller to take down the listing. Craigslist won’t take it down until theyre made aware of it and the best way to get Craigslist’s attention is for many users to flag the listing. CL is also pretty good at identifying fraud attempts once the flag count rises. In fact, the listing will be automatically taken down if there are a number of users flagging it.

Further, these scammers usually have many concurrent listings and they are probably very good at figuring out if you’re a potential mark or not. It starts with giving them your phone number (via caller ID) when you call. It’s amazingly easy to identify and research people with very little information. I’ve found my own data in many places on the so-called “Dark Web” and I’m pretty diligent at protecting my info, so don’t think you’ll be anonymous for long if you call. These scammers also collect info on people who contacted them and then target them in a variety of ways unrelated to the listing. Calling the seller may put you on a list you just don’t want to be on.

Once you know that it’s a scam, then what? Telling the other JL-ers that it’s a scam doesn’t accomplish much. I doubt anyone here is going to fall for a scam like this anyway. As much as I’d like to hear a recording of the conversation someone has with the seller, my advice is to just flag the listing and let CL take care of it. If you really want to do more, CL provides a form you can fill out explaining why you think a listing is a scam.

Please don’t contact the seller. If the listing is legit (and I don’t think this one is) then you’re wasting their time. If it’s a scam, do you really want criminals to find out who you are and put you on a target list for other scams?

3 Likes