E-type headliner question to use or remove

Hi, my car did not have a headliner installed when I took ownership. It has the, I believe original fiberglass panel overhead. The panel is able to be shifted about some. The surface facing the interior appears to be covered with a very thin material, dark in color. This has been torn in a couple places. The pieces that have torn off are available.
The question is, first should I glue the new foam backed headliner to this panel at all, or should I remove it and replace with modern closed cell foam or similar?
Concerned about the panel material separating after gluing in the new liner and having a sagging headliner?
Second, if retaining the panel is ok, should the areas that the thin material layer is missing be repairing and smoothed? I am concerned the lines may show after gluing in new foam backed headliner. Its very thin, you can see light through it.
My headliner was supplied by OSJI.
Photo’s of the current panel and bits

As a general statement, I would recommend that you go with all new materials applied to a cleaned up metal surface (the bottom side of the roof). Closed cell foam in 1/8" or so thickness works well. I get my foam from a local upholstery shop. It is sometimes referred to a Landau Top foam. Here are links to a couple of articles I have done.

These are multi part articles but the ones I have linked discuss the headliner.

2 Likes

I discover that FHC’s (or some of them) have a fiberglass panel to glue the fabric/foam on it!
None of that on mine when I scraped the old fabric starting hanging. I have purchased a new headliner and will glue it directly on the metal.
Am I missing something?

2+2s, at least the Series II models have thin, rough finished fiberglass panel that I’ve been told can be removed by first removing the flexible plastic trim that surrounds the inside of the rear hatch and pulling it out from the rear. The panel is fragile and, IMO, it wouldn’t hurt to apply a layer of resin to strengthen it while it is out. The headliner material, a fabric with attached foam will be much easier to install if you have that panel out and on a workbench.

I’ve been told the FHCs all had the headliner applied directly to the inside surface of the steel roof.

1 Like

My early FHC did not have anything but the foam and the headliner material on top of the metal.

1 Like

Just the 2+2s have the extra fiberglass piece. My 3.8 FHC had 1/4 foam, a sheet of some non-strechy material a d then the wool all laminated together so it was quite rigid and easy to install single-handed.

3 Likes

an update. After reading John Walkers post, I checked my rear roof area, no plastic removable piece. But I have '68 S1.5 2+2. But it did give some motivation and i was able to shift the panel forward and to the right and got the left rear corner clear and most of the rear edge. This allowed me to pry it to flex it in the middle and clear more of the edges and it pulled out.
Now looking at it I have further questions.
One, it would appear that any replacement material must extend beyond the inner perimeter rim of the opening, to provide a retaining capability for the perimeter trim strip.
IS this correct?
Second, this panel came out pretty much undamaged, to be able to simply cover it and re-install has it attractions, such as not having to glue something over head.
On the other hand, have it crack or bust going back in would be sub optimal.
Anyone have a replacement material that has a similar stiffness to allow gluing up out the car and the installing it?

I would call OSJI and ask them what you should do They make and install the part so would have the best solution to the problem.
Mark

Paul, my e type don’t have a headliner, the headliners on modern cars are big trouble.
I did my old Golf VW and my Peugeot 307, standing in the heat is no good.
Kindig cars made the headliners of one piece of leather glued to the inside of the roof with steam, amazing every time. They do use foam first, I think.

Antiek painting.

Frank.

Just done this I used new closed cell foam material