E type jack wanted

Thanks guys, I bailed at the last minute, decided I didn’t want to fabricate a part I didn’t have to even look at.

As Brian said - this eBay Jack is most probably for a Ford (UK) Cortina - and is most definately not from an E-type, of any age.
METALLIFACTURE was a British Company, that amongst other things made a variety of models of car JACKS, and indeed this basic style of ‘Cantilever Jack’ was covered by British Patent 903079 - which you will find stamped on the top end of the lifting arm.
But Metallifacture would vary the detail design and construction of the Jack to suit the specific requirements of the car company ordering the Jack - to suit their specific Jacking requirements.
So these basis PAT.903079 Jacks were made/supplied with a variety of different lifting pads, a variety of lengths of Lifting Arm, a variety of bases/platforms underneath, and indeed in Grey, Red or Black paint, as required/specified by the car company buying in these Jacks.

In addition, over their years of manufacture there were design improvements regarding the main drive screw and also the ratchet-handle to operate the Jack. These PAT903079 style Jacks were first made in 1962, and in the case of the E-type (at least, probably all) they were last made in 1970, when superseded by a new model/type of Metallifacture Jack as seen in the very very last Series 2 E-types, and all V12 E-types and XJ6.

The Cortina Jack has lost its welded on end plate, which was a weakness of the earlier PAT90379 Jacks caused by overloading the Jack, suggesting to me at least that this Jack has been used for something heavier than a Cortina. But this weakness in the Jack was the main reason their was a major redesign of the Jacks main drive screw, and the mechanical advantage of the lifting-arm geometry. In Jaguars case Series 1 and Series 2 E-types FHC and OTS were lifted from one central point each side, but for 2+2 E-types and all V12 E-types, there were now two lifting points per side, to reduce the maximum potential load on the Jack, and thus susceptibility to damage.
This change to a separate ratchet handle was nothing to do with cheapening the cost (as suggested by some), but was indeed an integral part of the main drive screw and mechanical advantage redesign, to strengthen the Jack to minimize potential for damage.

I dont know going value of Cortina Jacks - but GBP75 may well be appropriate in its damaged condition with parts missing, but maybe the buyer had hopes of modifying it whilst repairing it to better suit an E-type application. But what is involved I cant say, and depends how accurate/authentic you want to be - as certainly a new lifting pad is needed, but there may also be differences with the length and geometry of the main Lifting Arm, the main support base, and indeed the main drive screw.

I have about a dozen spare PAT903079 Jacks, that are not ex-E-type variants, but instead are other models of British Cars with different lifting pads, length/geometry of Lifting Arm and drive screw arrangement, and one day may have a closer look at them all and see what is needed and viable or not, to modify to replicate an E-type Jack. If its possible to make a E-type replica Jack from scratch, modifying a Mini/Cortina/Lotus etc Jack may well be a lot easier.

I have this one available, not sure if it’s E Type, though

Can clean it up and show more pics if required.