E Type S2 LEDs No Flash

I just replaced my front Run-Turn signal and rear Run-Turn -Brake lights with LED’s. I was very careful about not screwing up the wiring, labeling everything. Also, I installed an LED flasher (but haven’t replaced the Hazard flasher yet…drivers left side). Everything works…except the turn signal lights don’t flash…they remain solid. The LED flasher has a ground wire which I connected directly to the battery. Just to be sure, I ran another ground wire from the front lamps directly to the battery…no difference. On a side note…can I connect the flasher ground to a thumbscrew/bracket on the clock or other gauge? Thanks

Gary,

Sounds like you’ve got your flasher units mixed up. The one behind the drop down gauge panel is for the hazards. The one under the dash mounted to the sidewall on the driver side is for the turn signals.

-David

That would be a quick and easy fix…I’ll do it tomorrow…thsnks!

And there is a handy bolt head there for the ground wire.

Thanks to all who provided input. Everything’s mounted, everything works perfectly! What a huge difference. Now, (as typical), another thing just happened…my hand brake doesn’t work, no resistance. How does one troubleshoot this problem, and is it a job best left to a mechanic? Hell, I don’t even know where the hand brake cable is located under the car. Thanks again!!

Taking your car to a mechanic who has never seen an E type and paying them to fumble around and figure it out at $$$/hour is expensive, when you can fumble around and figure it out for free. The handbrake system on an E is pretty simple, but a bit unusual with its left/right force compensator. I would start with checking if the cable is broken or disconnected. Have a helper operate the lever while looking (from in front of the left rear wheel or perhaps through the wheel) under the car near towards the nose of the differential. You should see the cable moving a lever thingy above the the nose of the diff (that’s the compensator). Report back what you see and the forum members here can guide you forward.

The silver lever assembly above the diff flange is the compensator you are looking for. The cable from the handbrake lever connects into the threaded block (circled in this photo) of the compensator. Likely to be black and grimy on a car that’s been in use for awhile.

I would also add that if the cable itself needs replaced, this involves removing the seats and the center console to access the forward connection point at the lever; something you may want to do yourself in order to be properly protective of the interior.

Beautiful cars, but a bit fiddly:)

Steve, that is a work of art! I would have a hard time putting that back on the road where it might get dirty!