E type spoke wheels

Hi as anyone ever tried fitting e type spoke wheels to a x type if so how did it go

I can think of a few considerations…such as the difference in weight (E-type empty about 2,900 pounds, and the X-type empty about 3,428 pounds), not taking into account the significantly greater added total passenger and cargo weight in the X-type. Are there even splined hubs for the X-type that are available? I can imagine that over the long term, you would have some significantly increased spine wear due to the increased weight of the X-type. Trying to get the central spinner nut off after a few months of driving might be a real challenge too. While I like the spokes, a bolt on wheel to the stock hub would likely be the best option.

Bolt on spoke wheels, if you could get them for the X Type, would be your best option. Center locking wheels would require changing the hubs.

The show stopper is that the E hubs are splined hubs, and I doubt that you’ll be able to find those to suit the X-Type. There are bolt on wire wheels available for various bolt patterns (Some XJs had them). Dayton sells them (http://daytonwirewheels.com/pdf/boltonsellsheetweb.pdf), presumably others. You’ll need to get the bolt circle, rim width and diameter, as well as the setback right, but otherwise it’s just a question of money.

As to the spline wear/weight issue… not really a problem. The Mark X (and the other saloons) use the same splined hub size as the E… none of the saloons are what you might call “light”, especially the Mark X. I’ve seen more worn splines on the smaller cars than on the 4 doors.

1 Like

I could have the centre nut hub conversion adaptor made and the wheels cut and widened which hopefully would allow for the weight of the x type compared to the e type . I have also looked at the spoked Daytona wheel but this does not have the character of the 78 spoke e type wheels .