East Coast Oil Leak Tour

Thanks, Les. I didn’t know that. However, we should be crossing it by about 7:30-7:45 AM on Saturday, so I wouldn’t expect too much of a delay, even if they are still closing one of the two lanes. From what I can tell, the work is only being done on weekdays, but I could be wrong about that.

I crossed it twice in 2018 with no issue. Once on a July Saturday afternoon and once on a Sunday mid morning.
I think we’re good. If not - we’ll be in excellent company :laughing:

Restaurant reservations have been made for dinner at each of the stops for our group which includes those who have told me that they will be going and want to be included with those reservations. As previously mentioned, we will be leaving from the IHOP in Waldorf at 7 AM on June 8th; have breakfast out of the way by then. Lunch the first day will be at Motorfest. We can decide on breakfast and lunch on the other days when we meet up on Saturday. Those meals won’t be a problem.
For those of you who will be staying at the Inn in Little Switzerland, they will give us a $10 off group rate for whichever room that you book (they have several options). Just let the reservations clerk know that you are with the Gordon group when you book your room. If you have already booked, they will apply that discount when you check in. Get those cars serviced and ready to go!

1 Like

Harvey, I sent you a PM regarding linking up with the group.

For those of you who will be joining us in Asheville, the main attraction is the Biltmore Estate and its mansion. Entrance to the estate is free if you are staying at either of the lodging choices on the estate,the Biltmore Inn or the Village Hotel. However, there is an extra fee for a self-guided tour of the mansion. My daughter will be joining us and will give us a tour. She gets a season pass to the Biltmore and, honestly, could work as a docent for the estate. With her season pass, she can get us a discount on the mansion tour, and she tells me that she can even get our rooms discounted retroactively at the time of check in. Please let me know if you would like to take advantage of the discount and also where you will be staying in Asheville.

I just saw a weather report for NC and VA for the next week calling for 2-5 inches of rain each day. How reliable is that forecast ? What are the feelings among the participants ?

This is what I’m seeing just now on:

And for Little Switzerland:

I’ve been checking on the forecast for the last several days. Earlier this week, they were forecasting rain all day on Saturday in Petersburg. Now, it’s looking like scattered showers and then a thunderstorm; typical June weather. This week or next week would have been great but with the long range planning that is necessary for a trip like this, you have to take your chances with the weather. My guess and hope is that we will get some rain each day, but it shouldn’t be a washout. I’m committed and I’m going, regardless of the forecast.

1 Like

Yes, the West Coast Leaks have experienced rain, snow and slick, icy highways. On the last trip, I drove past an accident where a sports car skidded off the road and rolled. It was so battered that I could not tell if it was an “E” or not It had been overdriven in the heavy rain and hydroplaned right off the highway…

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

Good!!

The VERY worst that is likely to happen is… the car will get wet:blush:

Then, there was that time you nearly saw an E Type get t-boned…:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Are you SURE they won’t melt ?
Asking for a friend :roll_eyes:

Yup, that was scary!

Must have been to far in front of you to have seen that one LLoyd :wink: One thing for the ECOLer’s though, bring something along to bail with…

Cheers,
LLynn

I’ve got a portable bilge pumped packed in my spares.:grinning:

1 Like

I coulda used it on the GCol, I think that Geo has a photo of me bailing water at a stop light.
Next time I’ll have to see if I have room for one :wink:
Cheers,
Lynn
PS: Have fun!

Ditto. We are joining at Asheville on the 10th. And unless the forecasts change dramatically between now and Sunday morning we will be in Lola.

At least in Lola, you won’t need @chuck_goolsbee 's “confusion tape.”

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not a problem.

1 Like

Huh?..

I had no bilge pump either and after the all night rain in Chinle, AZ on last year’s OL I had to bail out the passenger side footwell also. The past two OLs have had rain, snow and more nasty weather than I expected after several previous OLs with pristine weather. My E did rather well despite the precipitation, but I would encourage a thorough cleaning and checking of the floorpan in the front of the seat as well as behind it.

And drive defensively around other non-Jags. The E is about half the height of the pickups in Texas and they would just as soon drive over you as yield the right of way.

Sounds like a fun tour!

2 Likes