EDIS (Ray L style) - No Tach

Ray,
When I read the install instructions, it called for setting the engine to TDC. I questioned whether this had to be on the compression stroke and you said no, it didn’t matter as long as it was at TDC. I assumed from this that it was because the system fired at both TDC’s of the complete stroke and so it didn’t matter whether it was set on ignition or exhaust. If that was the case then it would have provided two shots per cylinder, and that would mean two shots to the tach.

Now in your note to Craig, you say that it only provides one shot per cylinder, like the original system…so if that is the case, why would it have not mattered if I had timed it on the exhaust stroke TDC?

Les,

EDIS has THREE coils. Each coil is connected to spark plugs in TWO cylinders. One of those cylinders will be at TDC at the end of its exhaust stroke, while the other will be at TDC at the end of its compression stroke. Hence the name “wasted spark” ignition. So, there are still exactly THREE sparks for each revolution of the crankshaft, just like the stock ignition. The only difference is, each of those sparks goes to TWO spark plugs at the same time. The tach sees exactly the same number of pulses as with the Lucas ignition.

Regards,
Ray L.

Ray,
Thank you very much for the explanation. Actually sounds like a pretty efficient system!

My Tach will be on the way to Mike E on Monday!

As Ray noted, each spark plug fires on each rotation. It seems to me that it would result in plugs worn/burned out twice as fast. But, I put plugs in and ran them several years on several Oil Leak Tours, and then decided to pull them and check them out before last years tour.
They were not excessively burned and were still working like new, but I put a new set in anyway.
LLoyd

If you had looked closely, you’d probably see that three plugs are worn with a rounded center electrode but ‘normal’ earth and three with worn earth and sharp-edged normal center electrode. The paired plugs (at two per coil’ fire opposite polarity and therefore the ‘spark erosion’ occurs from opposite sides of the ‘arc’. This is why on conventional systems they mark polarity on the coild terminals - to make sure that the center electrode of semi-precious metal is the one that propagates the spark and is most resistant to wear.

Holy smoke!! The more I learn, the less I know.
LLoyd

I purchased the system from a gentleman in Holland who sold his 69 e type. Says all there except plug wires. I have a 3.8 61 E. Besides installing a new map what else would I need and what type of plug wire ends do I need?

I may be wrong, but I thought Ray produced different versions for the 3.8 and 4.2 engines. Probably something to do with the bolt pattern on the crankshaft pulley for the trigger wheel. Hopefully someone who is sure of the details can clarify for you. Good luck!

-David

You are correct David, I’m sure Ray will chime in but the trigger wheel is quite different for the two engines.
Cheers,
Lynn

Is the firing order different on a 3.8 vs 4.2? Why would the trigger wheel be different? Bolt pattern on crank pulley? Does anyone know where I can get a 3.8 trigger wheel? Also need the plug wires with the special connectors. Does Ray still have a source for these parts? If not I have some expensive parts with no where to go with them. :frowning:
Ray’s old email on the subject said “There will be a single kit that will work on any 3.8 or 4.2L E-type w/o P/S or A/C.”

Ray:
I bought one of your kits from a guy in Holland who sold his 68 4.2 car. It has all items except the plug wires with the special connectors. Can you tell me where I can get the wires? Also I was told that my 3.8 will need a different trigger wheel although I see a post on E type UK that says it is the same kit for both. If different wheel is required do you know where it can be purchased?

Jim Shaner