EGR Hose replacement

Hi Everyone,

Recently had a failure of the right side EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) hose. After calling SNG Barratt and thoroughly searching the internet for a replacement hose, I came to the conclusion that the parts just weren’t available.
but for posterity and search-ability, here’s the PN’s:
RH: C44844
LH: C44845

So, I think I found a replacement to keep this old girl going.

Failure:
Getting on a NJ highway (read speedway) I discovered that the transmission had no interest in shifting to third gear (An issue I’m working on). Because of this, I had to run the car at a high RPM in second for a period until I could get to an exit and turn around.

During this run which I’d like to think of as more an Italian-Tuneup than anything else, the coolant temp got H-O-T. Like, really more than I was comfortable with. The whole valve thing got me worried.

Once I was off the highway, I took the car for a leisurely cool down ride hoping nothing was wrong. That’s when I heard the awful sound from what I thought was the RH intake manifold. After cooling the car down, praying to the Jaguar gods that more damage wasn’t done and really taking a look, I found it was the RH stainless steel hose that fed from the exhaust manifold to the airbox. The hose was broken and appears to have been wrapped in exhaust tape as a repair. Well, my hi-RPM jaunt cooked the tape and burnt part of the rubber gasket on the air-filter.

After discovering the part was NLA, I weighted removing the system altogether or attempting a repair.
Seeing as I wanted this done quick and am not ready to start making modifications yet, I went for a repair.

Parts used:

McMaster Carr is a wonderful webiste. There I was able to find 3/4 ID Stainless Steel hose
5241K12

in addition to Clamps 3042T152
and Shimming tape (tell you about that in a minute) 76055A21

The tape is because the original connection on the solenoid valve calls for a 3/4 ID hose and the pipe from the manifold calls for a 5/8 ID hose.
I would’ve gotten a 5/8" ID and expanded it if I had the tool though suppose you could also find some fancy fittings to adapt.

Anyway, the pictures below are self-explanatory- the shim may fail at some point, I’ll deal with a better solution then.

NOTE: I replaced both sides after discovering that the LH side had a small hole too.

Hope someone’s saved the trial and error.

What year is your XJS? I don’t think I have that part on my 88…

I’ve a 1977. It’s a solenoid under each intake box. I can only see them once the muffler is removed. The second and third pictures offer good views.

Looking further-

My book shows this was a part on the 1976-1979 models. I suppose this is pretty specific.

Must be true. I don’t think any of the HE cars were equipped with EGRs. I am glad Jaguar deleted them, since ALL emissions related equipments, as it ages, tends to become very problematic.
My car has secondary air-injection system, and when I was cleaning the vee, and decide to check it, I found that all injection ports were completely plugged with carbonized residue, which was so stubborn, so I had to use the drill…

The H.E. doesn’t have EGR.

I’m not terribly familiar with the pre-H.E. EGR system, but your fix appears pretty good to me. Why did you go with SS hose rather than a rigid tube?

I most definitely woulda just ripped that system out. I support many forms of emission controls but not EGR. Deliberately making the engine less efficient in order to keep combustion temperatures down is not something I could support.

Along with Hi-Line, my favorite department store!

Hi Kirbert,

I would’ve gotten rid of the whole damn thing if it was quicker, alas, I’m not sure how to seal the exhaust tube yet and I don’t like making permanent modifications. Anyway, I did the SS hose because it didn’t require shaping or tube bending. Plus, the original was flexible and I thought that may be for a reason (if nothing other than ease of installation)
I don’t love the idea of using SS tape as a shim and it’ll probably fail one day, hopefully when I have more time to repair thoroughly and permanently.

Wiggles, I’ve never heard of them. Are they local to you?

I don’t know if your repair lasted so you might want to know that I have the correct C44844 pipe in stock, a few new ones plus at least one used one with the clamps and the end piece of the EGR Valve. Direct email is Greg@JagUSA.com
For anyone that is curious, these are the 1975-1979 V-12 US Spec Cars so all XJS before the XJS-HE 1982 on and the XJ-12 1975-1979 as sold in the US.