Electric help needed XJ6C 1975

Hi folks, Ik need some advise on electrical issues on my car. The horns don’t work and i cannot find a solution. I replaced the old ones becasue i had no sound. I also checked the fuses (nr6 and in line above the battery) but no result. Also i had no windscreen washer motor. Mine was behind the left fog light. So i disconnected it and bought a new. attached the watertubes. Attached the cables, no reaction and no sound of a working motor. Checked the fuses, no reaction. Got a tip abount the brake lights. they work fine. Goty a tip about the battery fan motor, which don’t have. The power is disconnected and in place. What can be the solution on both gremlins?

Hi Ron. Sometimes the best place to start is with a wiring diagram as the circuit can include other items - most notably of course - a relay. Our car is a 1972 model - I will sketch out the relevant circuits, scan and upload later today - hoping nothing changed over the 3 years. Others may be able to provide something from a Series 2. Paul

Thanks Paul. I already studied the wiring diagram but as you can expect, it does not match to the actual situation of my car. The wiperwasher motor is situated behind the front front of the bonnet/hood just behind the left bonnet lamp. The usual situation should be at the bulk head. The wiring has other colours too. They disappear in a wiring harnas. Same as the horns. I have 2 wires that disappear in a harnas. The original relay is replaced and i relay don’t know which relay is related to the horns.So i gambled that i replace the right one with the brown and red wires. All in the process of learing the car which i bought one month ago. Maybe it is best to start at the horn push knob and wiper stalk checking if they have power. Lucky for me i can look back at some experience with a Thriumph Herald i owned for 19 years before i bought this beast.

Firstly; both the horn pad and the washer button are grounds, Ron…

The wires to the horns should be purple/yellow - the wire to the horn button should be purple/black power provided by purple/brown. Verify that those are the colours found - they are unchanged throughout the ‘series’ cars. The ‘relay’ is used as an interconnection point for different items according to model year and equipment level - green wire…

If you do not find these colours; either you are looking at the wrong items - or a PO have done a dirty on you. The procedure is the same; verifying power where power should be and jumpwiring the purple/black connection to ground - simulating pushing the horn button. Crudely; if that sounds the horns, but pushing the horn button does not - the fault is likely at the steering wheel. remove bad to check the connection…

The windscreen washer power wire is green, and the ground wire going to the washer switch is light green/black, nor relay - colour changed and relay added on series III. Again, verifying wiring colours and checking for power, and grounding the ground point…

This is the simple version - if car electrics ever were ‘simple’…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

One step closer to the horn problem. They are fine. Tested them on the battery. The only thing is, The purple wires where connected to on Yellow/Black and one yellow wire right of the front of the engine. Now i have to find out where they go to.

Still some confusion on wire colours, Ron…

Purple/black is the standard connection to the horn pad - but given the obvious confusion; you should access the horn pad connection to identify the wire colour there. And in principle, power to the assembly is nominally provided by brown/purple

Also, as wire colours fade over time, misreading is always a danger - adding that Jaguar wiring diagrams are not necessarily complete for model years and markets…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)