Engine breather E Type

Most E-Types had a polished metal u shaped breather at the front of the head . Which ones had e simple rubber breather? Possibly late s2? What should I put on my 4.2 1971? Thanks Geoff

This is a late series II. Breather has rubber elbow on top. The pipe and breather setup are not stock.

1 Like

My 1970 E originally had the correct rubber breather elbow that I believe is no longer available? I replaced it with # C34965 that is also used on some V12 engines. Metal tube runs to the Strombergs.
Glenn

Here’s my over-complicated one which routes via 3/4” hose to outlet of engine.

Great picture Bill. That is about the stage my car is now. Your breather comes vertically off the head, mine comes off horizontally?? I’m still not sure which way to go .Try to get a metal u shape or go the rubber. Metal is perhaps better to stop oil going back into air intake for me. Unusual Bill for you to have fitted twin SUs. Your car looks very similar to mine with position of radiator overflow tank etc. Mine being RHD of course putting clutch reservoir on the opposite side. Cheers Geoff

Geoff, Do you have the smaller vent pipe on yours going to the charcoal canister?
I believe the large metal pipe on the breather should be vertical. There is also a wire screen and baffle sandwiched between 2 sets of gaskets for oil entrapment.

The late S2 and S3 rubber breather caps are quite different. I think the outlet for the pipe on the S3 is larger and the whole cap is shorter. The S2 part is C.32919 and the S3 is C.34965. An aftermarket one for the S2 was available some time ago from the usuals but I don’t know if it is anymore.

The breather cover for the late (EX/EM cars) is satin black and PN C.32915 whereas the one for the earlier S2 and all non-EXEM is polished P/N C.25162.

Richard Liggitt

Looks available.
https://mossmotors.com/elbow-breather-1?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7ltohMv_nXCPtE5yr2L9Nz8uAHrYJDwZj-T2cnDKXCrbBtEzZVANwYaAoRiEALw_wcB