Engine compartment finish

My 1963 MK2 had an undercoating finsh with a pink primer under coat. No body color paint. All the MK2 restorations I have seen have a body paint finish. Which is correct? Did the factory change underhood treatment over the production run. Bob

My 1963 Mk2 engine bay is original. It’s Sherwood Green as is the whole body. Paul

Is the paint applied over a bitumen coating?

And my 1965 3.8S also has the rough finish in body color in the engine bay. Can not really be made to look shiny.

Bob, my 1963 Mk2 did not have any paint in the engine compartment. Only tomato soup
color primer covered by the undercoat. There are pictures on the old site. Pete

This is my 68 engine bay , look’s like a wax coating over it , look’s original , under the bonnet look’s the same , did think about giving it a coat of paint when engine was out , but decided against it , my car is not a show car , I use it when I can and drive it like I stole it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Have a look here, they say it’s color over bitumic:
http://bdclassics.co.uk/bdcstorefiles1432/JCNA%20MK2%20Judging%20Guide.pdf

That’s interesting , if you look at the right hand side of my bay , the white , that is smooth , so are all the other white bit’s , look’s like wax over paint !!

Gee, your cars must have been in the paint shop on Friday afternoon. Paul

1 Like

Photo of removal of the the bitumen coating.Much work remained. Reveals the pink primer. There may have been an additional layer of bitumen applied at some point. Did not see any body color paint. Hood (bonnet) hinges were also treated with bitumen. I soaked them in mineral spirits for weeks to remove it.