Engine number/year

Hi All…done quite a bit of searching here and xkedata cant find an answer so can you help…XJ6 4.2 block…the engine number is 8L121xxx L im trying to find what year its from…anyone know of any lists about…i have seen 1970-76 engins with a date stamp above the oil filter housing…but this block only has 6D2 in the same place as the date on other engins…is this a date code?..anywhere else a date may be located that iv missed…thanks for helping…all the best…Steve

Steve,
Sometime around 1968-1969 the stamped engine on the Jaguar 4.2L XK engines was relocated from above the oil filter on the right side to the left side of the engine on the flange where the engine meets the transmission belmouth.

Try searching on the XJ6data.com website. It is like XKEDATA.COM but for the XJs.

Paul

Hi Paul…thanks for the reply…I have the engine number…its on the bellhousing flangs…its the date stamp number im after or trying to tie the engine number to a date…iv looked at the links you posyed previously but cant get an answer…thanks…Steve

Steve,
There is an XJ6 listed in XJ6DATA.COM with engine number 8L121166-S that has a build date of April 1982.

Does that help?

Paul

Hi Paul…thanks again…yes seen that…and know my engine is around that date…I will be doing an engine swop and need to be able to show the DVLA (driving authority) the actual age of the engine…So need to be able to show something tying engine number to date…is thers a list somewhere…or should there be a date stamp on the block…Thanks…Steve

Steve,
I don’t know of any way to tie a specific build date on an XK engine other than what I already told you. Try posting over on the Jag-Lovers “XK Engine” list. Maybe someone there can help you more.

Paul

The earlier engines had a casting date cast into the side, just in front of the dipstick hole, in the format 23-5-65, or similar. I just went out to check and my 8L engine next to the 65 engine has no cast-in numbers.

Thanks all for trying to help…will contact JDHT…there must be a list somewhere that dates 8L engine numbers…Steve

Steve,
Good luck finding an XK engine build date list.

I have been on multiple Jag-Lovers lists for almost 20 years now with four different Jaguars having XK engines (MK VIII, E-Type, XJ6 (2) and I have never heard about a list that provides a build date for the XK engines. The closest thing that I found are the XJ6DATA.COM, XKEDATA.COM, and Saloondata.com websites but even there the engine info is very spotty and the best you might do is identify within a year of when the car with that approximate engine was built. If you find such a list for the XK engines please share the info on Jag-Lovers as others will likely benefit from it.

Paul

Ok…heard from JDHT…Engine numbers wernt used in sequence with build date of car or chassis numbers…for a fee they will search their records and issue a letter dating the engine number…so quite simple really…Steve

Steve,
Thanks.

Now to provide a trail for others to follow on the future I assume that you mean the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (JDHT) and not JDHC. Is that correct? Or if you do mean JDHC provided this info who are they?

Paul

Yes typo…JDHT…edited posts above…Steve