Engine Oil Dipstick loose

Greetings, my 1954 XK120 came with an engine oil dipstick that is rather loose and I believe some oil leaks out of the hole sometimes. Is there a way to make it seal tighter?
Many Thanks!!

The oil is not normally under pressure there, you’re just getting some splash up.
There should be a C.17585 felt sealing ring under the cup stop.

If yours is missing, take your dipstick to your local hardware store and see what they can come up with.

Surprisingly the sealing ring is not listed separately until we get to the Mark X and Mark II, though the earlier models certainly had one, even back to 1938.

Hi Simon,

Have you checked that any oil in that area is not coming from the cam oil feed pipe. Leaks at the cam banjos run down the pipe onto the block. You can tie a shop paper towel around the pipe to see if it is leaking.

Regards,
Clive.

And you may be comparing with modern cars which are flexy because the guide tube is curved; it is rather loose, no guide tube, drops right in.

And I understand that it drops right in, however, there’s absolutely no tension to hold it in place, that’s why I’m calling it loose.

I did, it’s just from the dipstick

The MkVII dipstick also just drops in, never been a problem.

Simon:

The dipstick on my 1953 DHC is exactly the same, it just drops in place and can easily be spun around. As Rob suggested, there is a small seal pressed into the cap which can easily be replaced with a home made equivalent made of felt or rubber. I have never experienced any oil loss from this area in all my 60 years of ownership. Are you sure this is where the oil is coming from? Certainly, as was also suggested, the nearside oil line off the camshaft will drain down the block in that area and those lines do have a tendency to leak. Another possibility is the seal around the tachometer drive takeoff at the back of the same camshaft. I would double check those items.

Chris.

always a possibility that the oil dipstick was replaced at some time and is not the original part–and could be different at the felt part…but moreover could be different in te length of the dipstick and where the low and full markings fall. There were several dipsticks thru production. details of the measurements. Are somewhere in the archives here…I may have them…if I can find the info. It would be good for anyone–to make a quick check.
Nick

This is the dipstick from my December 1953 production XK120SE OTS. I believe it to be the original.

Thank you for the picture, it looked just like the one in my 54. How long is it, if it’s not too much trouble?

Simon:

My dipstick is exactly the same as Nick’s. The overall length is 13"; from tip to low mark is 1 1/2"; tip to full mark is 2 1/8th"; tip to seating flange is 10 1/8th".

Chris.

4 Likes

This is great, thank you so much! What is the difference between the first two please, XK 120 C2348 vs XK 120 C2348/1

Location of the notches for low and high.
There was a change in the sump design, somewhat flatish bottom to stepped bottom beginning at engine W2058.

the very first dipstick was revised, via a Service Bulletin to make a new FULL mark, higher than than existing top mark…so some early dipsticks should now have THREE marks…if modified as per the Bulletin, the /1 was just to have the new marks…it was a higher mark…same sump…so increased oil capacity a bit.
The main thing is to check that any current dipstick matches from seating surface on block, to the low and full marks.
Nick

And I know you guys have all been anxiously waiting to learn this bit of information, so I measured a C.2348/1 dipstick in place in the block.
The full mark is about 4-5/16" below the crankshaft centerline or top of the sump,

or 11 cm.

1 Like

i love that kind of info…yes–was waiting and waiting !!! Thanks…a new spec to add to the info.
Nick