Engine R.P.M. Limiter?

Hi All,

Since I’ve never owned an S-Type among all my Jags, this is a first post for me in this forum. I have a friend that does have a 2000, and she asked me a question that I didn’t have the answer for.

My friend recently “got on” her engine in park, to see how high she could rev it, and she discovered that whenever the RPMs reached close to 3,000 the engine would suddenly die. Other than that, her car seems to be in O.K. shape, running-wise, and has no c.e. light or trouble codes.

The only explanation I could think for this happening is that Jag possibly has some kind of safety limiter on the engine RPMs to avoid blowing it (although 3Ks is far from the red line). Does anyone know if this is in fact the case? If they do not, any idea why the engine would conk outt @ 3K RPMs? :confounded:

My 4.0 litre V8 (also a 2000) has a 3000rpm limit in Park. Don’t know if
this applies to other engines.

http://www.aqua-mail.com

Maybe designed by the “Green Initiative” in order to save the planet and also lower the Emissions and Tax at least here in the UK.

There is really no point in reving an engine in Neutral. The engine limiter will ‘bounce’ the revs around 3000 RPM. ‘Restricted Performance’ will also limit engine RPM.

bob

Yes, its an over-rev limiter. My 3.0 L car does that too. It prevents you from blowing up the engine in Park.

My wife had an uncle that died of a heart attack in his car when it was in Park with the engine running in a shopping center lot. He floored it and his foot held it there for a couple of minutes and the engine blew up with a loud bang, which drew the bystanders around that found him dead. That was in the old days of carburetters so there was no rev limiter.

Does the engine actually die, or do the revs just not go past 3K?

With most of the modern systems the ignition will randomly drop sparks at the limit, but the revs just stay there. There were some early tuning systems before chip replacement became the norm where you wired a 2nd control system in parallel and overrode the inputs to the stock system. The one thing you couldn’t do was raise the redline, because there was no way to tell the system that the engine was turning slower than it actually was.

On Alfas, when you hit the limiter there is a stumble, but everything works per normal… vastly superior to the old system of cutting ignition until the revs go down to a safe level, then when the ignition fires the first time and the exhaust valve opens shortly thereafter an almighty bang occurs as the exhaust gas ignites the nearly stoich mixture awaiting in the exhaust system.

Well on mine the revs just get to 3000rpm and won’t go any higher even if you floor the pedal. It’s just like the accelerator isn’t connected any more.