Engine tried to crank, then…

We all have our preferences. And when one is trying to make a living on service work, familiar means better profits. I get that. But past that, I have trouble with this attitude. It is just a car. Some things are easy to reach, somethings are time consuming to reach, no doubt about it. I personally enjoy working on the less familiar. But it sounds like the problem in the shop may not so much be the E-type, but the attitude of those that do not like it. If I, and I bet a bunch of others here, were near by, I would enjoy taking a look at.it. But not to listen to someone tell me about how much better Mustangs are.
Tom

4 Likes

I think one of the reasons I got into British sportscars is because I liked (past tense) problem solving. When something went wrong I would tear it apart and rebuild it then enjoy the endorphin rush of success. There has been the odd time I was stymied but it was always resolved in the end, and then the rush was all that greater. Now Iack the tolerance for things going wrong.

2 Likes

Boy… can I relate…:persevere:

2 Likes

I guess it’s an age thing. I do not, ever, want to drop or pull an engine anymore, when not too long ago I’d consider it “fun”.

3 Likes

And I totally understand that too, Nick: I would be lying if I said that part of the reason I sold Tweetie wasnt the fact that I knew I was going to have to pull the engine to repair/replace the transmission, and I had to pull and rebuild the IRS.

It’s been a long long long time ago–in the past century matter of fact–that I thought of that as fun. I never ever want to do that kind of work on an E Type, again.

I am looking at having to remove the body off of the Jeep to repair/replace the transmission, and frankly I’ve just got it parked for now: maybe this winter.

1 Like

Perfect and sound advice, which I practice on a regular basis.

1 Like

Don’t give up ….remember why you are doing this Nicole ….it’ll work out ok in the end ….you’ve already made great progress ….we all suffer these setbacks from time to time

2 Likes

Unfortunately for me, I practice that habit frequently - and my “think” lasts for months or a year…

Dave

1 Like

Very much appreciate that. Looking back we really have made progress. At times it seems that we are at a stand still and falling backwards, but truly overall we are getting there.

Good to know others have run the gamut of these emotions and we are not alone in our frustrations. .

1 Like

Paul is full of it.

Good advice that is. :smiley:

1 Like

And it must be done on a ‘contemplation stool.’

:blush:

Yep. We have several in the house, but my wife makes me get off it ocassionally.

1 Like

I’ve spent the past 8 months largely redoing all the things I ‘fixed’ back when I was a younger man. Case in point, yesterday was removing and refitting an outer sill that I incorrectly positioned all those years ago.

It’s sometimes hard to see progress!

1 Like

I’ve told my wife on several occasions that with this Jag, no project is ever DONE DONE until I’ve done it twice.

4 Likes

And then you sell it :crazy_face:

1 Like

We are going to wait for a camera/scope to look inside. Hopefully next week.

Got the vents and all the controls under the dash installed so made some progress.

2 Likes

Finally got the camera and here are the “OHChit” pictures. :scream_cat::scream_cat::scream_cat:

Not a proctologist but this doesn’t look good folks.

Whatever happened jacked the spark plug and the picture is the best I could get of the scope screen.

1 Like

That is super not good: I would unreservedly suggest you pull the cylinder head. Do not turn that engine.

How disappointing Candice

Ouch I agree with Paul…… how can this happen though?

The head would have needed to be well and truly skimmed to do that…. And even then why not all cyl…. Suspect something had dropped into cyl when being rebuilt and not noticed …. Maybe a nut ? …… very hard to see from boroscope photo …. Will be interested to see what the issue is when the head is off……I’ll be certain to use the boroscope before I try to turnover a reco’ed motor

2 Likes

That is what’s strange. This motor was run and according to the shop guy ran fine before dad passed.

Threw a rod? Why would it do this after running then sitting for a few years?

So frustrated at this point. Literally every turn we get a curve ball. This was a BIG curve :disappointed_relieved: