Engine tried to crank, then…

Good luck- hopefully what you find won’t require an engine out operation. I’d be there to help but we just put our 94 y/o mom in a nursing home and have been dealing with that and all the associated issues.

2 Likes

Oh boy!. I just came across this thread.

This is not something you want to do without a manual or at least someone familiar with the XK engine or you can do a lot more damage. Looks like someone is already loosening the inlet camshaft but the sprockets are still connected.

Normally, you would set the engine at TDC before disassembly but since you can’t do that, the next best thing would be to remove the cam sprockets in their current position and wire them together with the chains on the bracket provided, so it would look something like this:-
DSCF0572
Then you can loosen the camshafts and remove the head. The camshafts don’t really need to be loosened but doing that saves damaging any open valves when the head is placed on the bench.

You must be very careful not to turn either camshaft because adjacent valves will collide and bend each other very easily.

Once the head is off, you can safely turn the engine (if it will turn) ready to set it back up eventually.

Anyway, good luck. What a horrible thing to find when the car was almost finished. I hope t doesn’t turn out so bad.

3 Likes

Please say you do have a SERVICE MANUAL: A mechanic is doing the head removal ? and does not know what the steps are ?? !! uh oh. On a prior note…any Shelby Cobra-Mustang Mechanic that finds the Jag engine impossible…should not work on any engine. Nick

5 Likes

Paul,

Literally cannot thank you enough for you making yourself available for our constant questions and concerns. You are truly appreciated more than you know!

Have service manual, several actually.

No access to “mechanic”. My father was a machinist and had a mechanic that had worked on the engine with him.

Sorry to hear that. Not at all a fun part of adulthood, been there done that twice. :slightly_frowning_face:

Thank you for that input.

Not feeling comfortable with the lack of understanding from myself or the shop owner that seems very unsure as to what the exact steps are. Cannot seem to find a local mechanic that can come out to the shop and we have no way to get the car to a shop currently. :confounded:

1 Like

I may get a chance to pop over on Sunday, the 5th. Will advise.

1 Like

:raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

That would be beyond incredible.

Lots of good advice so far but I have a couple of things that I didn’t see mentioned:

If you are in fact removing the head you’ll need to drain the coolant from the engine first. Will be very messy if you don’t.

I believe I see the engine is using the twin Stromberg carbs so I would remove the carbs and secondary manifold assy, just to get them out of the way and they’ll need to come off anyway for when you have to manipulate the head when it’s on the bench.

Have to remove the oil feed lines to the cams, at the back of the engine.

Remove the exhaust manifolds, Leaving them attached to the down pipes, they can just hang there until the head goes back on.

Other than what has already been mentioned, that’s about all I have to offer. Good luck and do a lot of reading on procedure on re-installation BEFORE putting the head back on.

1 Like

How ELSE would I getcha to call me, so often?

:grimacing:

My pleasure.

Ah, Now we know. :joy::crazy_face:

1 Like

Do it, Wiggles. What a guy!

I agree!

No pressure, but man would that be a huge blessing. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Well, my wiff is urging me to go.

Sooooo many lines, soooo limited by the G ratings.

:joy:

1 Like

A major shout out to Sir Paul Wiggles!

What an absolute wealth of knowledge wrapped up in a fun, genuine human to be around. I have not smiled or laughed that much in some time, especially while working on the jag. No exaggeration, I did a happy dance upon his arrival.

NOT only did he make the long drive to come rescue us, he also gave a bonus concert!

There are quite literally not words to express the gratitude for the help he graciously offered.

Truly gained a friend today. It was awesome to put a face/body with someone from the page.

So, to get to the details that many of you may have been waiting for….

This is what we found. Although wish it had not happened, this could have been much MUCH worse.

I’ll let Paul detail the specifics of the findings, but these pictures display clearly what was found.

1 Like

Hard to imagine a valve head snapping of like that on a fresh rebuild, and yes, you did get off easy!

3 Likes

What does the piston look like?

Hi John.

Piston had damage but not in the bore.

Will need new piston, 2 valves and welding to repair damage is my understanding.

I’ll let Paul explain with “mo betta” details.

:wrench::gear:

2 Likes

Sounds like you did indeed dodge a bullet. I’m sending you a PM.

1 Like

Candy
That is “ good “ news…… a delay but quite an unusual happening with the balve

1 Like