Engine won't fire after replacing injector hose and fuel lines

Hi all

-sorry to be on the ask for my first post.

I have a very nice 1989 XJS with 23500 miles on it.Owned since the summer
Now I have read all the advice on fuel lines etc and over this Xmas hols I decided to fit my injector kit from Mr Injector.

Clued up on you tube I fitted the kit all fine and refitted back to the car paying special attention to make sure the plugs went back to the correct injector, all were numbered by me.
All injectors were done one by one and fitted to the same spot on the rail.

Now I have fuel up to the rail, the car will turn over but not fire. Im no mechanic but I know everything went back as it was so I’m a bit at a loss what to do next.

I have so checked for fuel at the rail which I have. Also removed one of the front injectors to see if there was any fuel coming on when I turned it over, nothing coming out.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance

Pat

Pat,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers.
Does your car have the Lucas or Marelli ignition system (1989 was the transition year)? Do you hear the fuel pump running when you crank the engine over with the starter? Do you have spark at the plugs when you crank the engine?

Paul

Hi paul.

The Ignition is Marelli.
I undid the inlet hose on the rail and put the open end in a bottle, I flipped the ignition on and plenty of petrol came out.

Have not tried a plug yet didn’t see the point if no fuel coming out the injector.

Many thanks

Pat

Also although I think it was unconnected before and I am starting to doubt myself this wire does not seem to have a home.

Im pretty sure I didn’t disconnect it.

Thanks

Pat

Pat,
Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the fuel injectors while someone else cranks the engine with the ignition key. You should hear a very pronounced clicking at all 12 injectors that proves that they are working. Also check for spark at the plugs.
The Marelli cars have a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) beneath the harmonic balancer that provides the critical signal for ignition and fuel injection. If your fuel injectors aren’t clicking and there is no spark, then something is wrong with the CPS or the wiring that carries the CPS signal to the Marelli ECU and the Lucas EFI ECU. The problem you are experiencing happens sometimes after removing and replacing components in the “V”. Check to see if the injectors click and if you have spark at the plugs and write back with your results. Check the CPS connector at the front of the engine left side beneath the A/C compressor and make sure the connector is clean and tight.

Paul

Pat,
That disconnected wire IS your problem. Be very careful handling that wire. It is a shielded wire that transmits the ignition and EFI signals. That small white wire is very easy to break and complicated to repair. You need to find the other end and connect it up.

Paul

1 Like

Thank you so much Paul.

Ive just spent 20 minutes looking for the other sneaky end hidden in the fabric shroud so all started fine with no leaks.

One last question I thought I replaced all the fuel lines but there seems to be 2 in the picture I missed,

They both go to and from what I would call some sort of manifold connected to the air con The longer one lower in the picture going back to the bulk head,

Is it ok to replace them just not sure if I could get into trouble with the aircon.
IMG_8264

Many thanks for your help made my weekend.

Pat

Pat,
Congratulations! Glad I could help.
The “manifold” is the fuel cooler, a heat exchange unit that uses A/C refrigerant to cool the unused fuel as it returns from the engine bay to the fuel tank. The two large hoses/pipes attached to the ends carry the refrigerant and should not be disconnected. The two smaller hoses/pipes that are connected at right angles to the fuel cooler carry the fuel. You should replace the fuel hoses, especially if they are original and over 30 years old. The fuel hoses/pipes have metal tags on them with the part number and manufactured date stamped in them.

Paul

1 Like

Thank you.
Yes they are over 30 years old some still have the aluminium date tags on them.

Ill do them now hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

Many thanks

Pat

You have maybe prevented a fire by replacing those hoses. There are pretty much 17 rubber hoses in the engine bay that should be replaced every 10 years or so. Sure they may make it 30 years, but why chance it?

12 on injectors.
2 from pump line to fuel rail, if you have A bank FPR.
3 from fuel rail to tank line if you have AC fuel cooler.

Fwiw, i removed my ac fuel cooler, since i removed my AC. The fuel cooler was only for emissions, to minimize tank fumes.

1 Like

Thank you.

True words for sure, I got previous.
DSC00110

My late TVR Cerbera 4.2.

Didn’t put me off though bought a 4.5 Light weight after that.

Thanks

Pat

Pat . . .

Ouch! Sorry about your TVR.
My 1970 Marcos GT has slots in the bonnet that allow the driver to see when the engine catches fire.

4 Likes

Gorgeous car. Just beautiful.