ENV axle access door

HaHa! With the snow up here in Canada it wouldn’t be wise to be driving the Jag just yet!

Brilliant - thanks, Terry!

Thanks, Geoff - most kind.

Hello Terry & Chris,

Got back to my garage and confirm the ENV numbers as follows:

1. On the pinion housing flange “ENV London” on one side and “Leys H108-1” on the other side as, I presume, the part number

2. On the top side of the pinion housing, “No 6830, SJHS 83, 18 59” indicating it as a 3.28:1 ratio.

Regards, Geoff

lucky to have the rarer 3.27 the low or high ratio?

671672 is a rolling chassis in a friends shop. ENV JHS 2633 NO6287 ratio 51/14. It’s clearly an early engine but not sure of year and owner is not likely to know much about it. I have photo of this data but not sure how to add it.

That car was built in Sept '51 so a couple of months and perhaps 200-300 cars before mine which has NO 6549 so maybe with a few dozen more sightings a pattern will begin to emerge.

If this helps, my car from October of '50, 670898, has ENV JHS 1132 NO 3673.

Great to get that, Geoff - thanks! Does it read SJHS or just JHS? It’s the only other 3.27 I’ve seen the numbers for, apart from mine (JHS 1) and suggests that perhaps very few were made with the high 3.27 ratio. Yours has a high number - 6830 - yet has a relatively low JHS number of 83… Maybe they made 506 axles before the first 3.27? Some of those may have been on Mk V cars - I don’t know anything about their numbering yet.

It’s a great help, Christopher - one more added to the list which is now up to 16.

Many thanks for this, Art - another one for the list!

Hello Chris,

Yes, confirmed that it has been stamped SJHS 83.

Regards, Geoff

Cheers, Geoff.
Chris

Hi Chris,
My car, a Sept. 3, 1951 build date RHD FHC has ENV axle data as shown (with a sprinkle of flour for legibility). Unfortunately, it was a parts car with a chassis swap for 670828, an OTS with a build date of Sept. 27 to 29, 1950 (according to closely numbered cars on XKdata). Other than that the engine and transmission match the Heritage Certificate for 679080, so I assume the axle came with the rest of the drive train.

Regards,
Rob Carne

Thanks, Rob - great to get that! I’m sure the axle is the original for the FHC 679080, as it fits right in with the sequence of numbers I have built up (now numbering 17). If it was from the OTS of Sept 1950, I would expect the number to be in the 3000s, and the JHS number to be between 650 and 900. I will publish it here when I’ve got a few more. As I don’t want to have to laboriously copy it out manually every time, maybe someone knows how to upload a Word document onto this site? I did try, but it seems to only accept pictures.

Printed the document, then scanned it as a picture. Hopefully it’s worked.

Forgot that Geoff’s car 670203 is receiving this 3.27 axle from a later car. I was puzzled as to why it didn’t fit the pattern! So scrub out the last 4 columns of the last entry.

great job
sorry about No — on 660058 will chase restorer to see if he can check more closely
terry

Cheers Terry.
One thing I think the list shows is just how rare a fitment the 3.27 axle must have been. By No 6830 it seems they might have made only 83…

My 3.27 diff arrived a couple of days ago from Sweden, and I’m delighted with its general condition - looks like it’s been in a kind environment for 43 years. I took some of it apart yesterday to enable me to make a proper job of cleaning the teeth on the crown wheel & pinion, and can see no evidence of wear on the teeth at all, and a correct contact area, too. I’m rather impressed with the engineering on these ENV axles. For instance, to adjust the backlash you just loosen off the big bearing cap bolts a bit, which allows you to adjust the large threaded rings in or out (doing the opposite each side) until you’ve got .006" backlash measured at the outer edge of the crown wheel teeth. The threaded rings are then locked in position by a small bolted-on tongue which engages with one of the slots to prevent it turning. I even think the bearings might be OK as there are no marks on the outer races you can actually feel. Might replace them though, just to be on the safe side and because I can get to them! I’ll replace the pinion oil seal while I’m at it.
Chris

ENV for sale by Coventry auto components might be enough for your list
presume a 3.92 rare!

1 x Original ENV Axle For XK120 .

Stamped as : 12 /47 , so probably off a very early Alloy car (1948 build).

Axle ratio is stamped on casing as 57/21 which equates to 2.71:1 which is low, for quick acceleration.

The other numbers on it are SJH75.

Sold complete as seen . Yes, there is a drum missing, but of course you are going to fit new ones anyway!!

We do not have an Early XK120 Alloy Car Parts Book, as it doesn’t exist, but later Jaguar listed ENV ratios start at 3.27:1. NOTE: It does have all the correct XK120 fittings on it, even the handbrake abutment plate was still attached (scrapped) to the cable.
https://coventryautocomponents.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=136&product_id=2992