ENV axle access door

Isn’t that one already on Chris Lackner’s list?
Serial No. 5721 and SJH 75
12/47 means a 3.92 ratio, not a date.
Coventry Auto made a mistake in their interpretation.

1 Like

I can’t believe anyone who knew anything wrote that description. It’s just all made up jibberish.

1 Like

I was going to mention that… thanks.

I don’t see the mounting tabs for the lever dampers? Am I missing them?

I’ve recently been in contact with Stuart at Coventry Auto Components and have pointed out their mistakes in the description, which they will hopefully amend. He’s keen to know more about ENV axles, so I’ve also sent him my list.
On the progress of my 3.27 axle, Geoff Holman at Holman Engineering (the go-to people for ENV in the UK) has pronounced it as in very good nick with little evidence of wear anywhere. He’s replaced the two main roller bearings which were a bit marked, but has not disturbed the pinion bearings which feel absolutely fine. We’re just waiting on a new nitrile rubber lip seal for the pinion from Guy Broad (hopefully tomorrow) and it will be all done. Jeremy Broad strongly advises against using leather seals generally. They are already slightly abrasive (think of a barber’s leather strop) and over time pick up grit, etc and become even more so, eventually wearing a significant groove on the steel shaft or whatever they bear upon. He convinced me, anyway. Back in the day, Jaguar didn’t really have available the sophisticated rubber-type seals we use today. Of course, the factory did switch over to them as time went on.

Hard to see, but if they are there they would be about 6 or 8 inches inboard of the spring clamps; I think maybe, but with the rust I’m not sure. He’d probably sell this thing easier if he took a wire brush to it and had a better picture or two.

I also sent a note to Coventry Auto telling them it was a 3.92 ratio. Let them know we are happy to share knowledge, and it would probably help their business.

Yes, it’s all rather uninformed guesswork. ENV never listed a 2.71 ratio, and even supposing they did, it would be a high ratio, not low, and would be the opposite of quick acceleratiion! It is also obviously a late ENV axle (not very early) as can be seen by the spring saddles which are the later type with a gap between the axle tube and the saddle.
You’d need a really big torquey engine to pull a 2.71. My old Iso Grifo 7 Litre originally had a 2.45 Salisbury 4HU, and apparently it was a bit of a bear to get off the line. At one point I had the standard 2.88 with the Muncie 4-speed and it was quite happy to pull that - but it did have 500 ft lb of torque…