European Headlight refurbishment

I am looking for some advice on rebonding the glass to my refurbished headlight shells. Having stripped the lights to have them re chromed I initially bonded the glass back to the shell using Butyl rubber adhesive tape. It seems to have worked fine on one side but has sagged and released the glass from its correct position. Not ideal and caused the headlight to have the wrong direction, not surprising really. Anyway, has anyone done this same refurbishment and come up with a suitable way to bond the glass back to the shell? If so please share. thanks Andrew

Is this pre or post facelift? Pre-facelift, it used to be cheap enough to just get a whole new unit. But, post facelift - I’ll confess now and say, in the days when the damn things were unobtainable, I resorted to bonding a pre-facelift glass lens to the plastic reflector of a facelift unit. Ugly bodge, but worked. Can’t remember exactly what I used at the time, probably a silicone sealant and a physical clip of some kind.

Since those dark days I junked the EU style headlights and have a quad set up like in the US. Much better lighting and much better obtainability.

IIRC, somebody on here reported rebonding the lens to the housing using silicone sealant.

Thanks, yes this is for the pre HE. I guess I could use silicone sealant. The Butyl tape I used on the other side has held well, so I think I am going to reseal with a little more care to make sure the tape band is not too thick. If its too thick it doesn’t allow the headlight shell to sit inside the glass rim and hence it can ride out. If that happens the glass, which is quite heavy is not supported other than by the tape and it will droop. So I think I have solved the problem if not then I can try the silicone.

If you do use a silicon sealant then you may want to check that it is not an acetoxy cure type that releases acetic acid. It may attack the chrome coating on the reflector.

1 Like

this is what I used. I would follow the direction including placing it in an oven.

Sorry for the late reply. Its the same as I used and after re doing it seems fine. thx Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have 2 pairs of XJ-S headlamps in poor condition (causing MOT failure) but do not know where to start getting them refurbished. Could you give em any advice, or point me in the right direction please?

1. How do you split the glass from the reflector
  2. Who did you use to rechrome the reflectors [preferably UK based]
  3. Are there pitfalls I should be aware of?
    Any assistance gratefully received.
    James (based near West Midlands)

I should image you would have chrome platers in UK who could do the job (it’s actually re-silvering or nickel plating, not chrome) but if you don’t I have the details of two companies here in New Zealand who have given me prices ranging from NZ$120 to NZ$350 for doing one.
How to separate the lens is something I am about to find out - the hard way, I suspect!

Hi Laing, thank you for your reply.
I would be interested to know what solvent you use the soften the adhesive to remove the lens - assuming you have a glass lens and not a plastic one of course.
Unfortunately I haven’t made any progress over here do to lack of time, but as soon as I do I will re-post here.
There is a business in the UK that has offered to quote to re-sliver the reflector, so if I manage to get a result I will let you know.
Kind regards,
James

Sorry for the late reply I only just saw your post. This who I used

I heated the headlight in my oven. This softened the bond between glass and body.

They turned out superbly

Send me a message if you require further guidance. I may have photos somewhere.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Many thanks indeed for your reply. I am delighted to see these guys are in Birmingham; I will arrange a visit in due course.
Kind regards,
James

Vacuum metalizing, not chrome plating.
The glass lid will come off by a little of force or will detach after few whacks with rubber mallet. Alternatively - just use a heat gun.

As long as case of your headlamps is sound (no bottom rot) - it will cost 70-80quid per lamp to recon (if you’ll send the stripped body only).

Any autoglass adhesive will do, even silicone won’t hurt if you’ll use the righ one and provide venting. Autoglass adhesive is permanent. No future fiddling possible hence recommedning two-three spots only (to secure) and butyl rubber excessively all around.

Word of warning - after refurb I was forced to lower the lamps to the limit and raise the rear shocks - to avoid annoyed drivers on the road (big headlamps, amazingly bright…)

1 Like