Exuast heat shield

Hey
I need help placing the head shield back on the car, can someone tell me where those two peices should go to ?

I think the bigger one, with the angle at the vertical piece goes at the left side.
The rounded part sits above the rack rubber boot.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C06.C0657.C0657279.C06572794821/brand/jaguar/

Shahar, this comment not intended to poke you or anyone…it us intended to hopefully be helpful for future tasks anyone undertakes.

Prior to disassembly and during, use the camera in the phone to document pictorially where things belong. Helps with reassembly.

On mirevthan one occasion i have kivjed myself for not taking photos of my particular situation.

The one on right side of your first photo goes over left rack boot. Pretty intuitive how it fits.

Right side rack boot cover attaches a bit differently, hopefully you have original bolts? Hard to explain in words.

I decided to remove my shields, they are strategically placed to shield the rack rubber boots from the catalytic converters. I removed my cats. The shields always got in my way when fiddling underneath.

Shahar,
These two pictures, from when I removed and replaced the steering rack in our 1990 XJ-S convertible about 5 years ago, should help.
Whenever I work on our Jaguars I take lots of “Before”, “In Work” and “After” pictures. I have learned the hard way that you can never take enough pictures. While removing a part it is obvious how to reinstall it, but given days, weeks, months, sometimes years, it is no longer obvious. My pictures have helped me to reassemble things on my Jaguars many times. I also keep a notebook while I work on our Jaguars, but it is often the the pictures have saved me.
BTW, I have a policy that if I take something apart and end up with extra parts when I put it back together, I have to eat those parts. :wink:

Paul

2 Likes

Assembly!!1 off topic a lot. New toy. got sick of my corded grass trimmer. The strings are a major PITA!! spenmt more time fixing the string head than trimming!!! teh gas powered one ahd a bit better head. The engie bit the dust. Not much run time in them.

Then, here, via amazon. a whacker trimmer. No strings! Nop cord. A selection of blsdes. Ugh, the documents are in a teeny font. useless. So, bit by bit, i figured out the asssembly. Then tried. disappointed weak mtr/ N o!!! had charged batteries!!! On rhe supllied cahrger ablut four hors. Nw we are cooking. f not too ot later, i have stuff to wahck. a lot.

I wish I had kept ntes on my ump. And pictres as well.

alas, the camera on my dumb flip is not much good.

will i ever actrivate my smart phne undetermned. first sessions a fop.

1 Like

The shield on the left is held in place by 2 of the exhaust flange nuts, the other fits around the steering rack boot.

1 Like

Oh yeah, didn’t notice that, you’re right. It protects p/s hoses from exhaust manifold. It’s a REAL pain to remove/install, uses two nuts from downpipes.

1 Like

I cant find any where i can install the shield for the right side ( where you said it should go to where the flange)
Do you have a picture ??

No, would be the left side. It attaches with 2 of the exhaust flange nuts.

Shahar,
Attached is a picture of page 1F02 of my hard copy of the XJ-S Parts Catalogue showing that PAS Hose Heatshield (Jaguar part number C44979) and how it is installed beneath the front exhaust manifold.

I suspect that you will have a difficult time getting a picture of it in place because it is very difficult to see and nearly impossible to remove and replace as I learned on both of our V12 Jaguars. :wink:

If you do not have a copy of the Parts Catalogue you should really get one. It is very helpful in solving little mysteries like this quickly and easily. But there is nothing quick and easy about installing that heatshield. I suspect that many were removed and then tossed into the bin over the years by those who couldn’t reinstall them. :wink:

Paul

#13 for Paul’s parts catalog:

Right side steering rack:

Left side steering rack:

Thanks you jay for this photo’s that’s very helpful