Facts and Fiction regarding interchangeability of Facelift Coupe and Convertible Windshields

Facts and Fiction regarding interchangeability of Facelift Coupe and Convertible Windshields

My Wife’s ’92 XJs is physical proof that a windshield from a ‘94 convertible will fit a ’92 Coupe. I had contacted Grundy Insurance and complained of delamination on the right edge of the OEM windshield and micro pitting that made it near impossible to see facing into the Sun. They agreed that the windshield should be changed and assigned the job to Safelite. Safelite contacted me in the next couple of days and stated that they did not have a direct replacement for the OEM Triplex windshield, but would begin a search to find a suitable replacement After about three weeks, Safelite called and said they had one that they believed would fit. I asked them if it was of the same shape, dimensions, and thickness - they replied Yes, but it had a Rear View (RV) mirror mounting lug bonded to the top center of the windshield, and was intended for a ’94 XJS convertible. I again asked them if all the dimensions were the same, and they affirmed that again. I had read the opinions that the Facelift convertible windshields were not interchangeable with the Facelift coupes. They sent me a picture, and I saw the bonded lug and knew I could remove that with heat – you can see YouTube to see how that is done. So, I asked Safelite to get it, remove the RV mirror lug and install the windshield.

About two weeks later, the Safelite shop called and said they had the windshield in hand, and gave us an appointment time for the install and kept the car for the day. We received a call a few hours later, and they said they had the old windshield out and that we were lucky – there was no rust at the lower left and right corners of the windshield frame – as they were aware that was a problem with many of the early facelift coupes. They also planned to put a rust inhibitor coating in those areas. As well, they stated they were able to reuse the mastic dam, the rubber perimeter seal and the seal expander strip – thank goodness for garage kept cars. I asked the technician if there was any difference in the thickness of the old and the new windshields – he said hold on, he would measure – came back and said the thickness was the same (contrary to the rumors).

The next morning, we received a call that the car was ready. We went to pick it up and were quite pleased with the job – it had a brand new Fuyao windshield that fit perfectly, and they had installed our RV Mirror mounting lug and Gentex RV mirror that we had previously mounted on the ’92 OEM windshield about 8 years ago. It has auto dimming, Home Link for three garage doors, and a compass. We have had the car back for about two months now, and have had no leaks, and have not noticed any distortions in the windshield glass.

In conclusion, I believe there is no difference between the ’92 – ’94 Facelift coupe and convertible windshields except the RV mirror Lug mounted at the top center of the convertible windshield. I suspect that the ’95 – ’96 coupe and convertible windshields are also the same dimensionally as the ’92 – ’94 windshields as well, but have no proof of that yet. Yes, there are differences in the tints, the sealing devices (probably because of the early facelift coupe rusting problems) and the chrome surrounds. To find the answers, can someone provide a picture of the OEM windshield labeling from a ’95 Coupe and a ’95 – ’96 Convertible. Please place a square of white paper on the inside of the windshield behind the labeling to provide a clear picture from the front – see pictures.

92 XJS Coupe OEM (1)
92 XJS Coupe OEM (2)
92 XJS Coupe Replacement (2)

AE

2 Likes

Great info Alan, thanks for posting.

I took a picture but it did not come alright, will have to redo it. My car is a '95 convertible with the 6.0L V12

Here’s my 95 V-12 Convertible windshield label.

Bob

I’d suggest you elaborate on this, as some may not be familiar with how that’s done.

Actually, I went to a "Recycling " yard (you pick) a number of years ago to find a good replacement mirror for my wife’s XJS that would auto-dim and do a few other things more than the cheapo Jaguar RV Mirror. I new from somewhere in my past, that heat would often release a bonded joint. An electrical heat device was not practical for the recyc yard, so I brought an everyday domestic propane torch. To begin, I removed the mirror from the mounting lug. I knew it was important to heat the metal and not the glass, so I used a throttled flame to heat the metallic lug until it literally just dropped off the windshield glass. I did this about three times (Practice on other cars in the yard) and kept the lugs for spares. When I found the mirror I wanted, I was able to remove it and the lug without damage to those items. To find similar information, Google (how to remove Rear View mirror lug from windshield), or to to YouTube and do the same. You need to get the mirror electrical pigtail and other peripheral devices to go with it. A Smart mirror requires an ignition switched 12V wire and a ground wire that you will have to route up the left (or right) “A” pillar and across the top of the headliner, or for you convertible folks, via the windshield header.

If you have to use pliers or much force at all, you have not heated the lug enough. The rag or wet towel suggestion to catch the lug is a good suggestion - it is hot.

1 Like

Thanks Bob,

this

is what the '92 XJS OEM bonded Triplex looked like

And, this is the informaton on the New Fuyao intended for a '94 XJS convertible looked like:

the Fuyao fit the '92 Coupe perfectly.

I’d love to know how they knew that before getting the glass in hand. Is there a set of specs that defines the dimensions and curvatures of windshield glass? Is there a way we mere mortals can get ahold of those specs?

According Safelite, they have an individual at their HQ who is very experienced in sniffing out windshields for cars - knows people and sources, and has access to data - it still took him about 3 weeks to locate the windshield. During my initial searching for a windshield (Before Contacting Grundy) I attempted to talk to Fuyao several times but could never get a reply other than they don’t deal with individuals. That worked out OK, because going through Grundy, who subbed the job out to Safelite, my total for the whole replacement was $0.00. A benefit of having the job done in FL where the car is currently garaged and licensed. In TX, it would have cost us quite a bit.

Beyond what I have told you, only Safelite can tell you how they found it, and exactly how they knew the windshield was likely to fit. For a cost of $0.00 I don’t ask a lot of questions - just Thanks!

1 Like

Here is a current add on Ebay for a '94 XJS Convertible windshield:

The windshield is not cracked, a tree is reflecting on the glass. You will see the mirror lug at the top center of the windshield which tells you it is for a convertible. Remove the lug, and it becomes a windshield for a coupe. Note that the "43R-00005 appears on our '92 coupe OEM triplex, the '94 convertible triplex in the add, and Bob’s '95 convertible triplex. The DOT number for each only differs by three digits after the M - the two convertibles the same, and the coupe different (lugs on the convertibles, no lug on the coupe. At the end of the Ebay add, the seller asserts that the windshield will fit “XJS facelift cars from 1992-96 and is the bonded in style.” How does he know that? Maybe because he has some facelifts on his lot and has tried that, or he knows like the guy at Safelite knows through sources, contacts, and a data base. The Safelite guy also knew, or found out, how to cross-reference to the correct Fuyao part number, and that’s how we got our new Fuyao windshield for our '92XJS coupe. Triplex and Pilkington windshields seem to no longer be available new tor the facelift cars, but maybe the Fuyao windshield is - but only to a distributor or a vendor like Safelite, since they told me several times they don’t deal with individuals.

1 Like