False Alllllllllllarm?

A few days ago I had gone into my office after arriving there, and about 10 minutes later I heard someone’s annoying car alarm and horn going off, over and over. :angry: After awhile, it finally dawned on me that it was SUPERBLUE (unless there was another XJS in our parking lot!). :open_mouth: I so rarely have heard it that at first I didn’t realize it was her alarm going off.

I rushed outside, but my fob would not deactivate the alarm. I remembered how putting the key in the ignition and turning it will do so, and it did, thank God. :relieved:

I still don’t understand why it went of, or how it ever could have. I usually don’t bother arming the system, and didn’t that day, either. Also, as usual, left the doors unlocked and windows slightly ajar. So, even if the system was somehow armed, nothing should have triggered it (unless just opening an unlocked door would). :confused:

So what the heck happened, and do I have to worry about Superblue doing that again in the future, maybe while I’m asleep in bed or something? I wonder if it’s possible some sort of nearby radio transmission might have armed the system and tripped it. ?

My UK spec 1992 has a passive arming feature that will set the alarm on, 30 seconds after turning the ignition off, and shutting the doors and boot. I found it a bit annoying, and I followed the dealer instructions to disable it by disconnecting a jumper cable in the alarm wiring loom. But I think you would have noticed quite quickly if you had this feature enabled - especially if, like me, you don’t lock the doors. My system also flashes the LED status light with different codes to indicate what set the alarm off. Too late now, but something to check if it happens again.